My bike was stolen.
My 10 speed shwin, antique, gift-from-Drew, bike.
It was in a locked garage with Aaron's bike.
Someone sawed off the padlock and stole both bikes.
I was sad, Aaron was devastated.
Then I was devastated and Aaron was sad.
Aaron had paied Jared (a bike enthusiast/bike genius/bike builder who has a side job biking for Jimmy John's downtown) to fix the bike up for him. Leather seat, new crank shaft, handlebar wrap chain grill, everything.
So when hearing the news, Jared was sad.
The next day Jared was out delivering sandwiches for Jimmy Johns, when out of the conner of his eye he spotted a bum on Aaron's bike, the bike he worked on.
He let out a loud whistle, and the man looked behind.
Jared knew it was Aaron's bike.
(Why did the whistle prove this? I have no idea either, I guess when you steal something you are on edge about loud noises. (Jared telling this story later was quite entertaining))
He road up to the guy. "Hey! That's my bike"
(because he didn't want to say "Hey that's my wife's friend's bike, that i did a lot of work on!" (gotta keep it simple for the transients))
The guy tries to play it off "No, this is my bike."
"No it's not, I did all the work on this bike, it is mine, and you stole it!"
"No I bought this bike!"
"Well you bought a stolen bike."
"Well, what am I going to ride? give me your bike!"
Jared ripped the bike away from him.
The bum tries to be friendly at this point, offering his hand out
"Well, I'm glad you got your bike back"
"I'm not shaking your hand after you stole my bike"
Jared goes back to Jimmy John's and is welcomed back a hero among the bike delivery boys.
Then leaves a voicemail on Aarons phone "I found your bike, give me a call if you want it"
(at this point of Jared telling his story we stop to hear the casual voice mail. "If you want it" so funny.)
The Jared goes home to his wife and his wife informs him that my bike was stolen too.
"was is a girl shwin bike with red wrapped handlebars? I saw a guy riding that today. I knew that bike was too fresh from him to ride it, that it was stolen"
The next day Jared goes to work and announces to the Jimmy-Johner's that there is another stolen bike. Forwards all of them a picture of my bike (From my instagram) and the entire store was out for justice.
Jared was the one who found it, a pile of bikes, outside the homeless shelter, covered by a blanket. It was only a 1/4 of the back wheel and from the placement of the spokes, or something nutty he knew it was my bike.
So after the sandwich delivery he runtrned to the blanket/bike pile to find two black men and a scary Mexican man (Not because he was Mexican, because of the way he was standing)
and with great courage he walked to the bike pile the Mexican picked up my bike and Jared yelled "Hey! That's my wife's bike!!"
(Because he didn't want to say "Hey that's my Wife's Friend's Friend's bike!" (You have to keep it simple with Mexicans))
And the Mexican man said "Oh, well, you should take it."
Jared dumbfounded at this easy tasked took the bike a brought it back to Jimmy John's.
I think they are hanging a picture of him up at the store. (Maybe not, but they should)
Moral of the story-
Eat at Jimmy John's.
Order from Jimmy John's, and tip your bike delivery boys stellar amount for the work they do.
Jared is a local hero, a bike extraordinaire. Aaron and myself could not be more thrilled.
I'm going to make him and his wife dinner. (Or order out some really nice food that we can all eat together)
Thursday, April 3, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
This is the best story ever! I was smiling the whole time and now I respect Jimmy John's so much more. What a hero.
Hello there, McKayJoice!
I absolutely loved reading that post. At first I was going to comment something with, "I'm sorry about your bikes!" But seems, thanks to Jared, that's not necessary. ;)
I'm new to blogging myself, and so I've been exploring some of the random blogs that come up. This is my first time visiting your blog here, but it won't be my last. Great work!
Three cheers for the Jimmy Johns guy! Hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray!!!
A true hero. Did you guys call the police and report that there were a bunch of stolen bikes at the homeless shelter?
are you serious, this story isnt real! sooo much more respect for jimmy johns now. they should call it Jared Johns.
Hey, congrats on finding your stolen bikes! That's awesome! And congrats on being racist and imposing stereotypes on people that you know nothing about. Do you know if that "Mexican" man was even from Mexico? And its pretty cool how you can "keep it simple" for the people so much less fortunate than yourself. Statistically speaking, that "transient" probably has a mental illness and is fighting a lot of daemons, so you're right, he needed to have things simplified. You're a shining example to all of us.
Ha! Good one Anonymous! You got me there!
Changing the world one comment at a time!
Post a Comment