Getting off the lift will never not scare me, speeding down a hill of ice I will never do without some sort of fear beating in my veins, my hands are forever cold, and laughing becomes a chore when the wind blows and hits my teeth.
Whitney has been working at Sundance and last Thursday was family day, the mountain was shut off to the public, the guys at the rental shop were at our beck and call. It was only a bunch of blood Ortons on the mountain.
I don't know if Whitney's co-workers don't have family, I don't know if everyone is burnt out working there to want to ski on their time off, but when I say that we were the only ones on the mountain, I mean with no exaggeration that we only saw maybe 15 other people all day. It was just us, and the lifties and the wild life.
And after I got rid of my velcro snowboard, the icey hills, my cold hands, and my freak teeth took a backseat to my pure love for the beauty of Utah, and my brilliantly wonderful siblings.
Seeing my Dad dance around the snow like a bird on his skis was mind blowing.
At one point we all got off the lift, clipped in and took off as a bad ass Orton gang down the mountain, together like Mighty ducks. Whitney almost started crying. All her dreams coming true.
And while there was friends, and girlfriends and boyfriends we wish we could ave invited, it was perfect to be limited to family.
My siblings, we all have become the same height and the same age somehow.
Then there is old man Orton schooling us all.
What a good day.

3 comments:
so fun! who are these girlfriends people wish they could have brought??!
This family, these people, are my all time favorites!!
i cant wait until the day i am an orton
Post a Comment