And as I end it now with a candle lit dinner for one, with a wine glass of cranberry juice I wanted to write a bit more.
The city was in a buzz today, as I went to and from work I saw hearts all over cars, men carrying flowers, a lady trying to shove heart balloons into the trunk of her car.
Love is in the air.
And it just makes me smile, I think about some of the guys out there that must hate days like today and resort to buying an annoying stuffed animal to appease their lady, I think about the little old couples who still, after years together do something special to celebrate, or the young lovers who are nervous with first time love, or the lonely people who find love in a stranger's smile.
And there really is no better place to be on Valentines then working in a downtown restaurant.
We were all so nervous for the rush, our reservation book was packed full and the phone would not stop ringing. All the servers where scheduled, no one was allowed to have the day off.
I was called in at 10, Macaroni Grill opens at 11, so for an hour the doors where closed and we were all cleaning, polishing, prepping . while over the PA (that normally has weird Italian music) came the sweet sounds of Justin Timberlake. If his new song doesn't put you in a romantic mood I don't know what will.
Pumping that beat through the store transformed the place to a dance floor, even the tooth-less cook was dancing. . it was so great. (Justin may never know the magic that song created for us this morning and I think that is a crying shame, wish I could tell him thank you, he would have loved to have been there)
Lunch was slow, as expected. And right before my lunch brake Lance showed up.
Wearing a crisp red shirt and tie.
He looked so festive, so handsome. So fitting that he spent the night with me and not his girl friend. . . (They just don't appear to have a stable relationship to me.)
To keep all the employees happy they brought in subway sandwiches for everyone, and chocolate galore.
It was a party, in the back room, everyone was in the best mood. I even used my break to just hang out with everyone between the two shifts.
Then the people came in, in floods, two-by-two, hand in hand, in all shapes and sizes. . so great.
One pair I fell in love with. The girl had to be a good six inches taller then her man, they both were round with a frumpy style, but beautiful faces, they both were a little socially awkward and kept to themselves . . yet they were so in love. . . to the core, the love they had for each other just glowed. Non-stop smiling, looking at each other. It was adorable.
I felt killer in my red dress I found to wear.
And it is 1:21am now and I might still have it on, as I sit here to type. . . . what? It makes me a romantic person, I feel electric in it! Look at it! Damn! That doesn't even look like me! That girl has moves!
After work, after playing with some friends, I came home to find a love note at my front door.
A romantic note with lines of "I love you as much as you love beetles"
It just brought the day full circle. . Signed a "Secret Admirer"So as I go to bed tonight, dreaming about my steller day, it puts a smile on my face to know that someone might be dreaming of me.
Happy Valentines Day!
Can't wait for next year!

4 comments:
Have you thought about writing a book...?
I have had a few people ask me that.
If Russell Brand could do it, so could I!
I hope you know that I read your blogs and love them! you are always finding joy in the ordinary things but also finding lots of extraordinary things to do. cheers to you!
That makes me so happy Ellen, I just love you.
Post a Comment