They look upon the American tourist as if we have everything, and are so blessed.
And while I am grateful for the country I was born to, and the freedoms I enjoy- I think about Cambodia, the people, the street markets, how they are fighting to survive with smiles on their faces and for the amazing people it makes them out to be.
A backpacker girl told me that you will get use to the food in Asia and when upon going home your body will freak out to be eating so many preservatives, and processed food again. . . Maybe it is in my head, but my body feels like crap eating here again, sometimes when I eat a big meal my stomach aches, I'll get use to it, I'll be fine soon. But it just is weird that I have to grow accustom to eating poorly.
Our breakfast choices in the mornings consist of top-tarts, waffles with sugary syrups or a sugar cereal, maybe a carb-loaded bagel with butter. . . How did we evolve to be so lazy in food? If one actually cooks something healthy it is impressive, and costs them an arm and a leg.
I want street markets of colorful fruit and meat hanging on hooks. I want the farmer himself to sale me his food with dirt under his fingernails.
(Phnom Penh Camboida Street markets)
Ok, yeah, that does happen, once a week- in the summer. But even then, the farmers markets have been overtaken by useless crafts. Headbands for babies, or another style of graphic shirts. Because people have grown to love the easy shopping and low prices of quick to make meals at Wallmart.
So I guess it is more then food, those small markets provided a personal connection with a person. So much more then anything you could receive with the retired-elderly-front-door-greeters. Rather then a job as a checker you have a job of growing, harvesting and selling a product. Somewhere in the mists of discounts, and convenience the quaint idea of a main street packed with little shops is being lost. We look for human connections on facebook, while the markets of Cambodia are packed with the same people everyday laughing and working.
Today I want to move to Chiang Mai.
Where baby toys are wooden spoons and lazy dogs. Where the street market is open everyday, the closest thing to a super store is the 7-11, and the only dessert is a sweet mango or pineapple.
I don't want to be an earthy-tree huger. The phrase "going green" in my mind is just screaming to be made fun of. But that might be what I'm feeling. I just can understand a bit more why the hippie's run away to live on farms.
Yet there are pros and cons to both worlds, it is nice to have clean rocky mountain water pouring from my tap. No where in Cambodia could you turn around in the shower and drink the water that was beating down on you (am I the only one who enjoys that?)
And man oh man do I love carpet, and if you couldn't pick it up and shake it off Cambodia didn't have it.
So to you Camboidan boys- count your blessings of amazing food, and great smiles. And to the Americans- take your socks off and let your feet be happy you have plush beautiful carpet.
Today I have lost all hope for a perfect world, free of soft drinks and fast foods, where we could enjoy carpet and good education, and am just sad and hungry as I walk through smiths.
2 comments:
mckay, a perfect world is one where there ARE soft drinks along with free refills.
Ha! Yah, I think "going green" means nothing more than, "I want to look cool and trendy with my re-usable bag when I walk into Whole Foods wearing my UO tee that has a pop-art picture of Obama on it, because ever since I bought my smart car and put my equal rights/namaste stickers on it, I have become so politically and environmentally involved."
Post a Comment