Friday, June 17, 2016

Expertindicity

I’m still not even sure what the HACK-A-TON initials, the rules and everything or what the overall goal is, it is a developers’ playground and a world that I don’t understand. 

Three day event at work, all the nerds splitting up into teams and coding, and hacking and moving into the back end to enter passwords and restructure the binary with buckets. 

So when I was asked to join a team I was clueless as to how they could use my help. We booked out a conference room right by my desk so I could help and keep an eye on the office. 
The team’s goal was to create Expert-tinder. And because of some misunderstandings, people who don’t keep their mouth shut and a weekly e-mail I send out to a few select people at work, I have been named the “Tinder Expert”
So my job for the hack-a-ton was to give everyone the low-down on how Tinder works. I even stood and gave a demonstration. Then it was three days in a conference room watching these ultimate geeks do something I could never do, create an app. I would even give my two cents, “That button looks out of place and when you swipe you want the image to follow your finger” . . . .then they would burry themselves in their keyboards and then minutes later there would be a better button, and a cleaner swipe. It was amazing. 

I love the little geeks of the office,  our final product was quite wonderful, and we only put in 5 hours outside of the regular 9-5 to complete it. The judges were very impressed, and even more so when we slid them a crisp one dollar bill. But the winning team was “Surprise in your Pants” for their head to head combat app. (It was really cool)

Always a pleasure to rub shoulders with people I normally wouldn’t, can’t wait to hack next year.




Truth be told, I spent most of my time setting up a web cam and watching myself work, and drawing pictures on the whiteboard. . . I think I am so funny. 
 



0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.