Saturday, June 18, 2016

An Aristocrat

If you were to come to me and say-
"McKay, I am a generous soul who recently became abundantly rich in the oil business, and I love you. I love you so much I want to buy you any car, any car your heart would want. Money is no issue for me, I want you give you the world!"

I would be so flattered and humbled and then tell you that the car I want is an old retro VW Cabriolet. 
I would tell you how I have wanted one for years, how I have an entire pintrest board dedicated to them, and I know that is where my only true happiness lies.

That is not a lie, I would take it over any fancy fast car, there is something about them, I love the retro vibe, the  timeless boxy lines. I love that bar through the middle, imagining my passengers using it to hold onto as they stand up and let the air fill their hair as they hollar at gentleman callers who are wanting us to stop. 

I always have my eye open, but last Thursday I found one as I was pulling out of the bank, and my heart almost leaped out of my chest. 
I took a picture of the for sale sign on the side of it and when I got to work I called on it. . . 

1988- Karman Edition, Volkswagon Cabriolet.
She belonged to a lady who had a second home in Sunvalley, and used her as her second car in the second home. 
Original paint, original upholstery, with only 87,000 miles on her.

Are you kidding me?

So after swindling deals, making prank phone calls, test ride, and loosing sleep, she is all mine. 

I have a garage, where she will sit and be my posh little second car. 

As I drove away I found myself at a stop sign in the avenues with large trees hanging over me, and crossing the intersection was some mussel head who was in a mustang, he had put a crazy lift on it and it appeared to match his personality perfectly. We made eye contact and I wonder if he was thinking the same thing about me. Matches me perfectly. I found myself wishing for a world where everyone drove their dream car, how wonderful that would be. 

I'm driving my dream. It makes me want to burst into a thousand pieces and blow away in the wind. 

As I parked it outside my place, a dog walker was passing by and said "I love your car"
And I yelled back "thank you! I just bought it like 10 minutes ago! I love it!"

And so it starts, I will have to take time to talk to everyone about my car. I guess this is the life I signed up for. 

As the guy counted my cash then handed over my keys he said "You should join the antique VW club of Salt Lake" And I thought "Hell yes. I should" 


So I live in a city with two cars and a motorcycle. I realize it is nuts, but I almost don't care. I'm an aristocrat now with multiple cars. The world is my playground. 

More pictures (And blog posts, I'm sure) to come. . this is just me two hours after buying it not knowing what to do, so I thought I would blog about it. 



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes!!!! It looks so good. Its the perfect addition to your collection.

Jen said...

she's a beauty! :D

Hayley said...

That is great! But how does Rav feel about it?

McKayJoice said...

Rav is doing surprisingly well, they are going to be the best of friends.

jujubeecher said...

Oh I love it so much!!

Powered by Blogger.