Round Two with this Dog.
I’ve been on a crazy health kick, worse then I ever have before. But I thought that being with the dog would be great, to have a running buddy who wouldn’t judge me if I bailed out on half of my run, and slow to a speed walk on some of the hills.
Day one, I get home from work the sun is dancing in the Dodge’s disco ball, the grass is green and plush, I changed into workout clothes Dozer was pumped!
The dodges live on a hill so in my pumped up mode I hook up the leash and charge right up the hill.
It is hard to tell if Doser is happy when he runs, his face moves about like a flag in the wind, and every once in a while you catch a glimpse of these wide and seemingly crazy eyes. WE WERE OFF! To work out to get the heart rate up and leave the world behind us!
Then just about as abruptly as all the excitement started, it stopped. 200+ pounds of it done. Done with running, done with freedom, done with the sun and the possibility of a fit tomorrow. We had traveled about 20 feet, and that is where he sat.
And try as I might with sweet words and then demanding words, he was done, he could sense my enthusiasm and knew my energy would not run out in the time frame he wanted it to. The only step he would take is one back to the house.
So I ran on the treadmill.
I thought about how weird it was that I was his boss, I was there to keep him out of trouble, yet the only thing I had on my side was I could open doors and he couldn’t.
Luckily he is a sweet heart. Luckily he thinks we are the best of friends. I hear people all the time talk about how great it is when their dog loves them unconditionally, how great it is that they are excited everyday when the owner gets home. And it really is so touching, to love and keep loving.
Maybe the key to love that way is to have a life as simple as a dog.
Together Doser and I made dinner every night, and when I say doser and I, I mean I made him stand far away because when he smells food the slobber gets a little nuts. I didn’t bring my computer, so it was slow evenings of reading, and playing my accordion, it was charming. He would sit right outside the door as I bathed.
![]() |
| Look at his squishy face and dirty hands, so cute. |
![]() |
| This was the best we could do with timer. Doser does not understand social media. |
Round two I must say was much easier then round one, he is such a baby. I love/hate him dearly.



0 comments:
Post a Comment