About three months ago I saw a problem at work that with my creative mind seemed easy to fix. It seemed like almost insanity that this problem was even there. (if I was to talk about what the problem was exactly it would completely defer you from the point of this blog post, so if you really want to know, call me, we can do lunch)
The guy at work that was functioning with this problem held an internal meeting for open questions and suggestions. I was thrilled and went to his little meeting. But was quite put off when my enthusiastic flame was attempted to be extinguished I was so put off. “Well, we don’t really have the resources to do that” “Well, that isn’t our focus”
I kept my mouth shut and started to just let my idea fester inside of me, I would think about it as I laid in bed, and then I couldn’t sleep and would turn on the light and start writing down my ideas.
I made a powerpoint, I wanted my idea to be clear and it was hard to eloquently say this vision I had in my head. I believed my idea so strongly that it hurt to see this problem continue. I gave my powerpoint to Drew, and he liked it, I gave it to Preston, and he liked it. But not only that, they caught the vision of what I was saying and were telling me to run with it, that I could really make a difference.
So I talked with the head of marketing, I built up the guts to show her this powerpoint that displayed that her team was doing a poor job, and my solution for it. She was very receptive. She had some of her own ideas and didn’t say she was going to run with mine but was happy I talked to her. Then word got back to the original guy I had some ideas. And so happily I sat down with him too.
He is a wishy-washy soul, I don’t think he has given a definitive answer in his life. And maybe he didn’t like my ideas, maybe he was feeling a bit threatened. But he told me to run with my idea for the weekend and see what I could produce.
So I did, I dedicated an entire Saturday to it. I went nuts, it had been an idea I had dreamed about for months and now someone was letting me do it. I wanted it to be perfect, so I put all my energy into it and I think I nailed it.
I emailed over all my work on Monday, super stoked and super proud of myself. Nothing could stop me!!!
I didn’t hear from anyone Monday, or Tuesday.
Wednesday he emailed me. . “Awesome work, I’ll talk to the team and see if we can use it”
You will TALK to your team? And SEE if you can use it???
What?!?
So the crap you have been producing can receive a go-ahead with out any second thought, but now mine has to be approved???
Whatever, maybe I don’t know how everything works.
I don’t respond, and then he came to my desk gave me a condescending “Gooooood job” I could feel his words reach out and give me a pat on the head like I was two. I was surprised he didn’t give me some candy.
Then he proposed a terrible idea with a little roll for me to play. I was not a fan. I don’t want to help you with your dumb ideas, that is the reason I started this entire thing to begin with!
The dream was over, I did what I could and that was that. At least I said what I wanted to.
Then two days later the CEO came to my desk “hey I hear you had and idea for _____ what has happened with that?”
I told him that I’m not sure what they wanted to do, that I was excited about an idea and don’t know if it is the right fit or how they feel about it, but for me on my end I feel like I have hit a wall.
“I want to hear what you have to say, will you schedule time with me that we can sit down and you can tell me your idea?”
I really love where I work, I’ve said it a million times, but it is amazing to be part of a company where the CEO is willing to sit down with the office manager if she has an idea.
So I fine tuned the powerpoint, I made sure it clearly painted a picture of what I envision. Unlike my blog, I made sure everything was spelled right and looked professional.
And I sat with the CEO, just him and I while I presented him my idea.
He was eating up every word, he loved what I had to say, challenged my idea to see if I had really thought things out. Then when I felt like he really understood what I was trying to say he cranked up the heat, he added the word ‘Passion’ Where I had been trying to remain low key. He got me excited again about believing that I had a good idea. He told me “I’m not saying that I’m going to tell them you have to take over this project, but I might” -I don’t know what that means, but I was stoked.
I walked away feeling like I had said everything I wanted to say, I felt like I was eloquent, and it was hard to suppress a smile and maintain a professional look.
I don’t know what will happen next, I would love to see my idea play out, but that really was enough. To have the undivided attention of the CEO where I was showing him something was, to be short, way cool.
I’ve never felt more empowered.
And because of this I’ve turned down a different job that was offered to me internally too, it was something that I wasn’t interested in, the money was better and it was something I could have done well, but I didn’t feel like it was the right fit. That too makes me feel great, that others are looking to me and want me on their team, the spitfire lady who was campaigning for me to change said she liked that I was “Curious” I was so completely flattered, it’s been my favorite complement. And it made me feel good to turn it down, because I felt like I was making big choices for myself.
So I’m excited to see what this next little while brings.
5 comments:
So, so cool, Mckay. Now post your PPT already.
PPT?? I'm so confused.
PPT= powerpoint. And that's so awesome, but now I need SO many more details!
that rocks.. poo-poo on the head marketing guy, but Super Grateful that the CEO was totally there ready and willing to hear what you had to say. That is AWESOME!!
Good Luck Chickadee!
Ohhhhh, the Power point! Shoot. I'm just not hip!
I can't post it, I just can't, it goes over a lot of internal work stuff, too much for the WWW
Post a Comment