Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Blame Canada! Shame on Canada!

We rounded the bridge to the horrifying image of Vancouver Canada.

Let me back up. 


Canadian Border Patrol was quite cruel to us today. 
Little did they know this was RaVoe's first time using her passport.
Little did they know my Dad is an idiot. 

Where are you traveling?
How long?
What states have you lived in, in the US as an adult?
Do you have a gun?
When was the last time a gun was in the car?
Do you still have bullets in the car?

They shuffled us to a little area made us get out of the car and then searched our car while we talked to another border patrol nazi with a trunk load of questions. 

Where are you going?
How long will you be there?


The worst part is that Dad wouldn't answer them, later telling us "It's none of their business where I'm going!"

Oh geez. . . 

And for this very reason they pulled us aside, and searched the entire car because we were being so sketchy. 
RaVoe and I chiming in to give them more of an answer. 
Me- "to visit my sister"
RaVoe- "We are headed to Alaska"
Dad- ". . . . . .. . "

So happy little RaVoe got silenced real quick, and it was made even worse when they found pepper spray in her bag, and an apple that she couldn't bring into Canada. 

They called us up one by one. 
Me first.
"Is this yours?" (they hold up the pepper spray)
"No, it's my Mom's"
"You can take a seat. . . . .RaVoe!"
RaVoe walks up to the desk, as I pass I say "I tattled on you!"
RaVoe has no emotion.

They talk to her for a bit, a slap on the wrist, a stern warning, and we are free to go, and they refused to stamp her passport. Refused. 

It was the worst. 

Then it was on to Vancouver!

So the tone may have been set, in a way for a unexpected trip.

We round the bridge to get our first look of the skyline. 
It was a city that was thriving in a post apocalyptic nightmare. 

It was the exact city from the dream in Inception, or the new James Bond (when he goes to the abandon city on the island) 


Oh man, that is one FREAKY city. 


 But somehow in it's freaky, dark clouds and seemingly broken sky scrapers there was a sense of wonder, a vibe of foreign awe.

We weaved our way through the city to the suspension bridge park.
The trees were stunning, the bridges were timeless. . . but the asians were everywhere.

Oh man, I'm sorry to not be polite, I read a shirt once that said "I was not born a racist, I'm a server" and I think that may be true for me. Years of severing tables make me roll my eyes and push my way through them, at some points we found some alone time, and it was nice, but when it was time to leave we were ready.




So, now I sit in a small cabin along the trans Canada, the Parents have gone to bed, they are old and tired. I have gotten my sleep in on the drive, the roads in these parts are sure pretty, but they make my stomach turn.

Tomorrow, 13 hour drive, and a night spent on a boat.
God Bless Canada.

1 comments:

ellenbush said...

this post was awesome and made me laugh so hard. it is freaky and apocalyptic in those photos!!! that suspension bridge. that is the stuff dreams are made of.

Powered by Blogger.