McKay has been serving at The Grill for about two weeks now, and now had the responsibly to host, bartend and serve tables on her own until the 3:30 shift manger, (Lance) came in .
Two hours. Alone.
Chad then returned to the back room office to work on the I-9s forms that corporate has been hounding him about all morning.
McKay was scared stiff yet at the same time she felt a surge of power, of responsibly, of trust, and she was excited they would place this much trust in her when it was only her second week (fourth day) serving.
The customers came flowing in, an office birthday group, two young lovers, a family of three, another family, an old jolly french man with his quiet happy wife, two more business men, three more business men. . .
McKay greeted them, sat them at the table, poured wine, mixed drinks, ran bread, ran hot food, grabbed and extra spoon, made sure the birthday girl didn't get mushrooms on her Chicken Scallopini, told some jokes, and made the Mom feel better when her four-year-old wiped her spaghetti on the window. . .
It wasn't until the rush was over that she had the confidence that she actually could take all the tables, before that point she would walk around with a cool, calm, happy demeanor while inside she was beyond scared and sang Muse's Survival to keep her motivated and calm.
At the end of the shift, Lance came in. Pleasantly pleased with McKay's efforts, but not at all surprised- his faith in McKay runs deep.
All the guests were happy, well-feed, and all tips remained over 18.3%
Not one mistake was rang into the computer, all the tables were pre-bused before the check hit.
It was art in motion.
So today, dear blog readers, for 2 hours, an entire Downtown Salt Lake Restaurant relied on one girl, (and two cooks) and by herself she did something few people could do.
How is she so wonderful?
Now if we could only get her to stop cheating the parking system.
3 comments:
Well done, I am sure you can handle that and much more because although I only know you via your words, I can tell you are a very special and capable girl!
Would love to come have food there someday, but only if you are around!
we should have gone ahead with our impulse to give you the middle name of "sizzle". now I know why that impulse came.
I would love to have seen this. I am in awe of good restaurant people. They/you have skills.
Post a Comment