Couchsurfing: A cyber network of people, young and old. Who offer their couch online to the money-saving, fearless travelers. A way to connect with strangers, step away from living a life of fear and place your trust in strangers.
I have surfed a time or two. It is a great way to travel. Even if you just meet up for a chat, to know a bit of information through the mouth of a local is gold.
Last week was my first time hosting.
Jessie and Tristan.
Two Canadian boys.
They had road tripped across Canada down the California cost, and up through Vegas, after Salt Lake it was on to Aspen Colorado, then home to Canada. Stopping at all the ski resorts, boarding like crazy. Over half the money they spent was on lift tickets.
They arrived at 2am.
Karli and I were up waiting.
She immediately sat them down and read to them their fortune.
"What is your birthday?"
"Oh! this is TOTALLY you!"
It was instant love, oh both ends.
The next morning Leah and I made pancakes, the four of us had a sit-down breakfast with fruit and orange juice. Then I had the morning off so we were off to temple square where I played tour guide filling them full of all kinds of facts.
Normally the tour of the conference center is about 15 minutes, so we went in. . But for whatever reason it went on for about an hour and twenty minuets. I was having anxiety thinking about how much the Canadians must hate me for making them take the tour.
But they had great questions, they are so happy and cracking jokes the entire time, at the end of the tour they are very intrigued by temple square and wanted to see the miniature model of Jerusalem.
It was a great day.
That night we invited the two to a party.
A ward party, a birthday shin-dig for a new guy in the ward.
Mormon to the max party. I told them that I could directed them to a cool pub if they wanted to go downtown, but they were wanting to hang with us, see our lives and wanted to meet the Mormons.
Jessie asked Leah as they were leaving the house to the party.
"Would it be distasteful if I brought my own beer?. . . . For ourselves?"
So funny! Such a pure Canadian delight.
This picture melts my heart, it is so freaken funny. How everyone's back is to them, the birthday banner the look on their faces. . . GOLD! Oh man I just love them.
I kept telling girls "Go say hi, they just learned all about Mormons today"
And they were swarmed with people wanting to say hello, holding IBC rootbeers. Made my night.
They stayed three nights. It wasn't long enough, the last night we would all be lounging on the couches late at night talking away.
The best part about them was the "when in Rome" mentality they had.
Even if that meant hanging out at Mormon parties, spending late nights at Sean and Mason's, getting pizza and playing pin-ball. Nothing a glamorous but fun non-the-less.
I gave them Book of Mormons before we parted ways, I don't know if they will ever read it, they both got was excited and told me they would.
"I got you guys a souvenir"
"It better be a Mormon Bible"
"It is!"
"Oh! no way!"
Oh I love em. .
At one point while being crammed in the truck of Karli's car Ben Rock was asking me about them.
"Are you charging them to stay on your couch?"
"Nope"
Ben, after a moment of thought- "That's how life should be"
And I thought "Yes Ben, yes it is . . . . . "
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Nothing better than making friends at any point in life, glad u had a great time with them!
Sweetness.. Can I come Couchsurf, please?
YES!! anytime!
Post a Comment