Wednesday, October 3, 2012

"Stay positive folks!"

I worked a full day at Thaifoon last Saturday, opening the restaurant and not walking out until it was 10pm.
I was a long day, and all the servers felt it. Chris brought in pizza and I think it was what helped me make it through the dinner shift. (There was a convention of Italians in town and they arr beyond rude and don't tip)

But I remember walking back to the kitchen with a full tray of plates and looking around the restaurant and thinking- I work with the best people.

Sunday morning I got a call. . . Thaifoon has closed, they lost business and haven't been able to make it with City Creek coming in. So don't come into work tomorrow, met at pioneer park at 2 to pick up your final paycheck.

That next day we all met at the park, Greg, our boss was very emotional. This was his little place, he did all the recipes, it was is dream.

We stood in a circle and Greg could only say "I'm sorry" before he got all choked up, and then after regaining his composer he said "you are good people"
And that was it, I am out of a job.

Kinda crazy we didn't receive advance notice, but I guess that is how restaurants do it when they close, if they would have told us in advance then there is a chance that the employees would not work hard until the last day. An absurdly selfish way to end things, but whatever.

I am surprisingly really upbeat about the entire thing. . I'm not worried, I have things I can do. Things always seem to work out for me. And I've had some great McKay time these past two days, (I have a feeling I'm going to love unemployment.)

But it was hard to see the Spanish cooks, who have worked at Thaifoon for 9+ years, I wonder what they will do, I wonder if they are even legal to work.

Let the job hunt begin.

6 comments:

sunshine said...

So sorry about your job, but the great and positive attitude you have is what's going to make a big difference on what's coming next... Things do happen for a reason we just need to make sure we are keeping our eyes open to the new changes, good luck!

Connie de said...

Dang! Very sad for all of you. BUT! Your next job it around the corner - I feel it.

Collin and Traci said...

If you need a reference at Chase Bank, let me know. They're a great company to work for, and they are all over.

McKayJoice said...

Thats very nice of you Collin and Traci (I assume Traci).
I might take you up on that.

Whittron said...

Ooohhh nooooo!!!! This is crazy town!!!

Whittron said...

Ooohhh nooooo!!!! This is crazy town!!!

Powered by Blogger.