It almost seems sac-religious. Just the small bit I have seen they have cast the entire thing wrong.
Makes me crazy.
So I found my copy of the book, and started to read it, and finished it that night.
It brought back a flood of memories, not just of the book, but of the times of my life that the friends I ran with held the book in higher standards then the Bible. A book about high school kids that no one understood, with a family who is messed up, about drugs and sex and there was this air of understanding that we pulled from the book that our parents or peers could never comprehend. The book is a bit ronchy and so to avoid the ronchy-ness my high school boyfriend would read it to me, we laid on the grass and I loved the sound of the page turning. It was just a good time in my life. I different time. A time I look back on and think of what an idiot I was, yet miss being that impressionable.
"We only accept the love we feel we deserve"
The copy of the book I own is hardback it was given to me by a dear friend when our high school days were coming to a close, he told me that I was his 'Sam' (The 'unconventionally beautiful' girl from the book) and I held that as one of my favorite complement for years. Used the word 'lovely' to describe me, and I loved that. Along with a note in the inside cover had gone through the entire book and edited it for me with a white out pen, so I didn't have to worry if I ever wanted to read it.
So I thought I would just give my snout out for the book before the movie takes over and makes it something that it shouldn't be.
The entire book is letters from Charlie, the wallflower, and it is interesting to see the world through his eyes. I don't know how one could ever capture that in a movie.
Sincerely disappointed.
(photo of McKay circa 2002, black hair, emo bangs, emo expression, very likely Dashboard Confessional /Saves the Day mix CD was being played in the background of this picture.)

3 comments:
I saw the movie poster and I couldn't even look at it. I have completely deleted the fact that is a movie from my life. It will always be deeply personal book that no one can recreate. And that's all I will say about it because as far as I am concerned, the movie does not exist.
I remember these days, and I remember reading this book after you mailed it to me in Florida. Every time I make waves in the air while driving, or see someone else do it, I think of this book, and also, of you.
Never heard of the book or the movie but perhaps I look into it.
It makes me kind of sad when good books are made into movies because then you lose the essence of the imagination that every reader has.
Post a Comment