Saturday, June 9, 2012

Bug People

When 'bug people' meet other 'bug people' something extraordinary happens, instant friends. And I'm sure this connections happens with others with hobbies binding them together, but I've never had it happen to me as intensely or as it does when someone shares my love for insects. People like that are rare.

I met Kenn last month on my bug hunt trip to Mexico, he might be among the top ten most interesting people I've met in my mortal existence, collecting insects is just one thing out of many that make him so unique.

Welp, Kenn is in town, so we decided to go out and collect together, we drove from Salt Lake a lovely canyon in Heber, and the entire car ride the topic was insects, not once did we talk about something else.
So great.

Then we headed up the canyon, walking side by side with our massive nets (That where each home make from old fishing nets and converted into large light-weight insect nets)
And we would talk as we walked along catching.

At one point I had taken the lead as the trail had gotten more narrow, and coming around the corner we spotted, about 20 feet away from us a massive Moose drinking from a stream.
We stood dead in our tracks, net in hands in awe at the massive creature.
Then braking the silence Kenn says to me "Moose scare me, I've very afraid of them"
Me "yeah, me too"
Kenn" I got chased down a canyon my a Moose, there were two of us on the trail and I out ran the other guy, I still don't know what happened to him"
Me "please tell me that is a joke"
(Kenn is so serious, he doesn't joke)

Just then, as we stood staring a butterfly came flying up over a bush about 8 feet away from this moose.
Kenn, without second thought took off running net in the air to catch the beauty.

I have never felt my heart race that quickly, I was scared out of my mind.
I stood and watched as the moose took a step towards Kenn with his eyes glued on what he was doing.

Kenn, caught the butterfly, and returned breathing hard. And all he says (Kenn is so serious, he doesn't joke)
"Wow, I forgot the Moose was there for a second"
Me-"Yeah! I could tell."



Real terrible picture, yet I think it really shows how scared I was, not really concerned about capturing a moment, but living to see the next.
Kenn, Moose, you get the idea.




The insects we caught we amazing, the entire day was a real treat.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.