It is the top spot in the nation to collect insects. And one of the best bird watching spots too.
The Canyon is not one for camping, the hiking trails aren't the best and it is kind of out of the way, so almost all the people you find in the canyon are bird watchers, and insect collectors.
It is a magic place, unlike any other, mostly because of the people.
We arrived after the sun had gone down and began to set up our lights and generatator and there was an Elderly couple in the parking lot. As we got to talking we found out they were there to find the rare Mexican Woot-Something (kills me I can't remeber the name) Owl.
So cool.
By the time I turn 70 I hope my husband and I's wardrobe has become similar, dressing as twins almost every day. And I hope we bird watch, sit in the mountains with a bird guide book, full rim hat and bonocoulars around my neck.
We continued to set up and they stopped us and said "Listen!" we froze and could hear the sweetest little woot.
"That is the Mexican Woot-(something I can't remeber) Owl! That is a very rare sound to hear!"
We stood in awe for about 10 seconds taking in the sound along with the fresh mountain air and life in general.
Then we started up our loud generator and forgot all about the birds.
Night hunting was not it's best, the prime time to go is late July, so I'll be back.
But we had a gay ol time.
To sit in a canyon, away from cell phone range, with a camping chair and a bag of sunflower seeds, with nothing to do but watch for insects and laugh it up- it makes for a good time, every time.
Thats a 1,000 Watt Meurcury Vapor light bulb, it is an expencive, very bright, little toy, and the bugs love it.
It felt like noon day standing within 10 feet of the light, the stars were gone, and if we wanted to we could have gotten a tan.
Dustin was happy to take part in the only activity that you needed to wear sunglasses AND a headlamp.
This picture cracks me up. Dustin was out of control.
Hawk moth and tongue
Discovered a easier way of killing the little guys, take a syringe and inject a small bit of rubbing alcohol.
They die instantly, it was wonderful.
I was very impressed with Kylee and Dustin's catching abillity, they both got into it, Dustin was the one waking me up the next morning because of his excitment with the Bumble Bees he was catching.
Kylee and Dustin took a lot more pictures, of all of us, so when I get them I'll put up some more.
Other Highlights of the trip-
Rav, in all her camping splendor, I love this car and seeing her full of camping gear I feel like a proud parent, nothing better. I love her.
Cool bugs, old friends-
Dustin wears black dress socks with his flip-flops, Kylee spills all the gas, the fumes in the car near killed Anidie and I.
Mexico, fresh fruit and chili sauce.
Kylee and Dustin bring a stray dog home from mexico. What the?
Kylee and her BS desert facts-Colorado River, taking the long way home.
Staying with Juje for a night-
And being in Rav over 25 hours with this girl-
1 comments:
I am sorry that the bugs werent the best. But i am sooo glad you came! exploring mexico with you was the best, cant wait to do it again. And thanks for including that pic of me spilling the gas, my least proud moment of this year
Post a Comment