See-
I found myself in the middle of night, at Bryce canyon among the craziest telescopes I have ever seen.
The entire place was very dimly lit by little red lights so not to destroy your night vision.
Robert, the 60ish year old giant of a man with a large booming voice and a red light tangled into his straw hat, was leading the entire thing.
Lights, of any sort were absolutely and totally prohibited. (couldn't pull out even the small light on your phone)
Robert assured us that as the night would go on our eyes would adjust and we would be able to find our way around.
Have you ever meet anyone and carried on conversations where you couldn't see who you were talking to, just a vague outline of a body? Well, this was all we did all night, walking around and striking up conversations at all the different telescopes. "what are you looking at here?" we would ask. Then the Telescope owner would elaborate and embellish on the creation of stars, the distances of galaxies, the orbits of nebulas. It was so funny to see the enthusiasm and to feel the excitement in their voice.
I saw the rings of Saturn, I saw light that was 15 million years old, I saw the spiral of galaxies and black holes.
So amazing, so fun. There is no way we are alone on this little speck of a planet we call earth. No way.
We were giddy and happy the entire night.
| This is Dane's scope, we set it up at our camp site, after we got back from the real scopes, just trying to be cool. |
This morning there were some more scopes out, I saw some massive sun spots, and the flames of the sun. . . Wicked.
Nerdy, weird, amazing people with such a cool, unique, expensive hobbie. . . . the best kind of people in the world, the best.
0 comments:
Post a Comment