Saturday, April 23, 2011

Black

I wear black to serve tables.

Black pants.
Black button down shirt.
Black shoes.
Black socks.
Black undershirt.


I try to spice it up with colorful earrings. . but it still is just back.

At first I loved it, black is classy, clean, and slimming.
But this week it is ALL I have worn. . . . this week (not counting Monday) I got up, changed from my pajamas to Black, then after work I change (as quickly as possible) from Black to pajamas. . the same pajamas.
No real clothes, no jeans or skirts. .  even now, I sit typing in those same pajamas that might be overdue for a wash but I have lost all track of time or even how many days I have worn them.

I have lost my identity and have become black. . I even own three button-down black shirts now, and I fear that my wardrobe will soon be like Bart Simpsons and become all one outfit.

But today the clouds parted and a ray of light shown on me as I found out that in between my lunch and dinner shift I had a 2 hour break.

Now, with a 1/2 hour commute, and rising gas prices it is crazy to think of going home in that time. So I went up a block to the dollar theater and King's Speech had just started and would end just in time for me to be on time to work for dinner.

So in all black with my name tag on I sat alone in the theater, sprawled out on two seats, shoes off and enjoyed a movie.

It was a nice little ray of light in a Black world.
Next week, I fear, might be an all black week, even Monday. What have I gotten myself into?

5 comments:

Nathan said...

And all I hear in my musical mind is AC/DC's Back in Black!

Back in black
I hit the sack
I've been too long I'm glad to be back
Yes I'm, let loose
From the noose
That's kept me hanging about
I keep looking at the sky
'Cause it's gettin' me high
Forget the herse 'cause I'll never die
I got nine lives
Cat's eyes
Usin' every one of them and running wild

....but I digress

McKayJoice said...

Yeah. Alright.

This should be my theme song.

Flint said...

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.
[. From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/j/johnny-cash-lyrics/man-in-black-lyrics.html .]

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
And things need changin' everywhere you go,
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black.

Whittron said...

I like Flint's comment.

McKayJoice said...

I love johnny cash.

Powered by Blogger.