Wednesday, March 30, 2011

With what we have. .

I was painting late last night with some fellas, we were making a mural that showed how technology is ushering the normal world into fantasy and completely suppressing women. . . It's not finished, but it has a lot of blues and oranges and it turning out quite magical.

Anywho. .  upon painting Johnny Mac, (who, when the movie about my life is made, will be played by a pessimistic Charlie Sheen) started talking about the Hebrews, and how way back in the day they viewed time. Not so much in a time line, like I do, but they see things rather as complete and incomplete. They also believed the things you did in the future could change your past.

For example- I tell you a joke, I go on and on setting it up, and when I finally tell you the punch line, it is at that moment the entire joke has different meaning. . Altering a bit of the past.
(does this make sense? I was real excited about it last night)

It is a brilliant idea if you apply it towards repentance.

In my "timeline" mind- whats done is done, and the idea of "god will remember your sins no more" is hard to take in, or the idea of "In the past I killed a man, will you forget all that and marry me?" is hard to not hold the past against someone, letting it form their character.

But if I were thinking like the Hebrews did, I would see that one could enlighten themselves with the understanding of truth, and step away or apart from the former way of thinking, It moves you onto a higher plane, and the "sin" is no longer a part of who you are. .

Now this concept can work in reverse too, in the way that if one does something that contradicts the good work he has done in his life, it almost discredits it.


I've been thinking about that simple thought all day. . for me it was a bit of a wow moment.

It is encouraging too because I have the power to change anything I don't like about myself.

I have this new friend, and upon getting to know him the topic of a "night owl" was brought up.
And "night owl" would be the understatement of the year for me, I love the night and love to sleep in the morning. So when he announced that he too was a big night owl I was overly joyed.

When conversation furthered, I found that he got up early every morning to walk to the gym, and swim 16 laps before he went to school. Night owl my ass!
But when I called him out on it he said "no, I am a night owl, getting up in the morning is real hard, but I do it because I feel better when I do, and I have so much extra time"

It was just real impressive to me. Weather or not I want to change my sleep habits is one thing. But I can relate to how hard it is to get out of bed for something when you don't have to, and to have that kind of dedication to improve a quality about yourself is awesome.

I need more of that.

And it is beautiful because with the gospel I can have it. . . All about improvement.
Beautiful.

I'm excited for conference.

1 comments:

Laneé said...

Wow that is amazing, my mind is blown right now! I never thought of things like that, it really has me thinking. You're right, it's all about improvement! :-)

Powered by Blogger.