And today I had another 'click' moment, and I remember how wonderful I have it, how amazing my little life is. And I'm not talking about my family, or the new cardigan I purchased this week, but in the knowledge that I have acquired over the years about God, and about my small time here, and what it means.
I am overwhelmed at how cool the Book of Mormon really is, and always so impressed with the loyal, faithful men in that book. The men that have become strong and are overflowing with confidence and courage because of what they know, and there relationship to God.
I have always been intrigued my the story of Les Miserables, I feel like it might be close to scripture the way the Brotheren quote it. So currently I am attempting to read it, it has taken me a while, and I have re-read a lot of parts. (yes the abridged version, I am somewhat pathetic, I know)
But i have fallen in love, and fallen into deep respect (can i say that?) for Jean Valjean.
I want to have a dedication to do what is right no matter what road it takes me down like him, I love his outward concern for others, it is so inspiring to me.
One scene that my mind kept thinking of today in talking about service was at the beginning of the book when the priest had caught Jean Valjean stealing the silver-
"The bishop approached him and said, in a low voice, 'Do not forget, ever, that you have promised me to use this silver to become an honest man.' Jean Valjean, who had no recollection of any such promise, stood dumbfounded. The bishop had stressed these words as he spoke them. He continued solemnly, 'Jean Valjean, my brother, you no longer belong to evil, but to good. It is your soul I am buying for you. I withdraw it from dark thoughts and from the spirit of perdition, and I give it to God!"
I can think of no better way to serve another person then by forgiving them, letting them grow. It is a beautiful principal. And that one small act produced such an amazing man.
ANOTHER EXAMPLE (just to make this post as annoyingly long as possible)
I have been looking and looking for a specific movie I saw a few months before I left to Canada, all about Martin Luther and his story. I even special ordered it from Hastings in Logan but then for some weird reason they sent me a note saying they couldn't send it. . .
Anywho. . . I finally found it on net flicks and watched it about a week ago when it came in the mail, then read a bit about Martin Luther to answer some questions I had, then watched it again.
I find that time of history so crazy, I don't understand the Catholic church, I can't even begin to understand what it must have been like to only know the scriptures through a priest who was reciting them to me, I wonder if I would have had the good sense to understand there was another way.
I love that once again you see a man who against everything put forward what he knew was right. Only fearing God.
One of my favorite things that he said was "How soon 'not now' becomes never" . . .that just rings as pure poetry in my ears, and makes me debate what it is that holds me back.
The movie is called "Luther" If you ever get your hands on it, thank your lucky stars.
But when all is said and done, I'm just think it is so cool that I can make myself the person I want to make myself be.
Like Ned, the Pie maker, said from the wonderful canceled TV show Pushing Daises -
"Everything we do is a choice, oatmeal or cereal, highway or side streets, kiss her or keep her. We make choices and we live with the consequences, if someone gets hurt along the way we ask for forgiveness it is the best anyone can do"
Then Woodrow in a sly tone says "I can do better" . . . . (then they sword fight.)
It is just so great being Mormon. Right?. . . . Right.
2 comments:
I miss Ned and his friends desperately. You make me all inspired to watch Les Mis. Thanks for the insight. It is great to be Mormon.
Read the whole thing. Loved it. Loved the Pushing Daisies shout out. I had to give the thought at ward prayer last night and as I read this I kept thinking, "Why didn't she post this a few hours earlier??" Ha ha
Post a Comment