Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Beaver Mountain

A lesson was learned in humility today.

I watch the Olympics and feel like my young fit body can do whatever they do.
I blame my mother for instilling in me this "you can do anything" mindset.

I went to 'ski the bev' today. Mostly because I knew some friends were going up and they wanted me to come, so right before I went to bed I prayed for snow.
And what do you know? I woke up to a small amount of new snow on the ground and snow falling. . . Weird, it was almost like if i didn't end up going I would be an ungrateful wretch, and God might stop answering my prayers if I am asking for things that I don't take advantage of.
So I ate a hardy breakfast and Rav and I took off up the canyon to set in motion of all the Olympic energy I had.

The snow was beautiful, I couldn't find my friends but it was ok, because I had brought Freddie Mercury and Simon and Garfunkel and they were so good to me. I didn't wear my jeans under my snow pants I had some great spandex on and my legs felt so much more free, I don't know why I had never done that before.


Then I remembered how incredibly awful I am. Shawn White makes it look so easy. Why can't i jump the way he does? Why can't i get off the lift without my heart rate going up knowing that I will fall (didn't fall getting off the lift once today) And my determination is what kills me, in my head I can do things that my body can't do, and tomorrow I will pay the price for the stupid hills I was trying to bomb with a sore body, I can feel it already.

I regret not getting a pass this year, I thought going today would satisfy my snowboard hunger, yet it only made it stronger.

Dang, look at rav, she is such a wonderful car.

6 comments:

Eric Petey said...

Its the red nappy hair that makes him so good. Only Carrot-Top has the potential to rival the skills of Shawn White...

Whittron said...

that is so funny, I've been calling shawn white carrot top all winter games long.

Eric! I didn't know you blogged!!!

Sydnie said...

Maren and I are going on Saturday. If you come I can guarantee you'll be better than at least one person on the mountain...

RaVoe said...

Oh McKay, you can do anything if you just put your mind to it.

Rhiannon said...

LOL! Your mom sounds like Ryan's mom. She use to tell him that too & now he's like, "Mom, why did you tell me I was a good singer? I can't sing!"
Ya know, I swear my body has aged like 10 yrs since having a baby! I wish I could do anything like those Olympians! They are amazing!

Heather said...

I love, love reading your blog. I love that you wanted to be an olympian. Just keep practicing. :) Sean White is INSANE! He deserves 5 gold medals. I'd like to see you with a gold medal one day.

Powered by Blogger.