Friday, December 25, 2009

When I was in high school some of my friends would go to the Midnight Mass at the big ol' Catholic church in Salt Lake. It was on Christmas Eve- a time for family, and I'm not complaining. . . I love Christmas at the Orton house. . . there is no better place on earth, but RaVoe liked me home, not running around with hooligans who had no family to claim them.

But this year, Sam is away, we aren't kids and believe in Santa anymore, and Max is too cool for school, it is not much of a traditional Christmas. So I talked my mom into letting me go. My Aunt Dezy lives in this great old house in the avenues in Salt Lake with her husband and standard poodle. . . she came down a few days ago and recommended the Presbyterian candle light vigil.

When it came time, Whitney Mom and Dad
decided to come.

And it was wonderful, spiritual, and we all sang real loud the wrong words to joy to the world.
(the crazy Mormons changed the words)

The sermon was touching, and they talked about the light of Christ, and then the one single candle was lit, and the light from that candle was shared down the rows until the entire room was glowing in a warm spirit of light. It was beautiful, all of us in the midnight of the Christmas, winter air.


Then home to watch a late night Muppet's Christmas carol.
Perfect Christmas Eve.


0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.