I was riding the bus to school this morning, it was packed and these girls were talking about the shooting star "I guess there was a cool shooting star last night that lit up the entire sky"
No one said anything, no one knew what the girl was talking about. . . . it was killing me to listen to these girls. . . so i chimed in "I saw it" entire bus looks at me. . . "and it was beyond anything i have ever seen, took my breath away"
Then no one said anything else until the bus arrived at the TSC. . . I got off the bus, and walking around campus it was KILLING me that everyone I talked to, no one saw the star, no one knew what went on last night. . .
So i'm in the computer lab now, googling to see if anyone saw it. . . And not having too much success. . . I guess in Asia there was ment to be 200-300 shooting stars per hour! that is incredible, but mostly it was complaints about how lame it was. I was out raged! then I found this-
Leonids appears to have put on a great show for many observers around the world, particularly in Asia where some hourly counts went above 250 shooting stars. North Americans in dark locations away from city lights recorded about 50 + meteors. A Toronto-based astrophotographer hit the jack-pot and caught a spectacular meteor zip over Lake Ontario leaving a smoke trail behind – take a look at the awesome movie he made of the event. But the shower is not done yet.
Last night a giant fireball, known as a bolide, entered the atmosphere over Utah, Idaho region and its blinding flash was caught on surveillance cams – check out the videos here and here. While the peak outburst has past us, if you have not had a chance to see the Leonids yesterday then you can still go out tonight and see some straggler Leonid meteors zip by at more modest rates of ~ 10 per hour and maybe even a fireball or two thrown in.
A fire ball! Bolide!Anywho, I'm still stuck in awe from last night and apparently it actually was right over our heads, "Utah, Idaho region"
Just so ya know.
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
How incredibly amazing is that, that we saw a fire ball streaking across the sky!! It was so beautiful!!
I walked into work with a coworker and asked if he saw the star. He said he was standing in the kitchen around midnight and the star lit the whole room!
I'm so glad you saw it! Shortly after midnight I was reading my scriptures downstairs and thought somebody was shining a flashlight through the window. (It scared me to death. I thought it was a kidnapper and was going to call the police. It kept me up for hours thinking there was a bad guy lurking around.) It wasn't until this morning when I read about it that I realized what it was. It was super bright with sparkly flashes that would light up a room. I'm glad somebody else wants to talk about as much as I do! You are the first person that I've heard that saw the actual thing and not just the light. I'm so jealous it sounds amazing!
This story has some pictures of the light- http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8714738
Post a Comment