Thursday, February 12, 2009

Nanaimo


Canada is such a wonderful place, now that I have served my mission there I just want to go back and explore.

I think my favorite dessert is a Nanaimo Bar. . . I've never seen one here in the sates, but in Canada you can find them every where, and I highly recommend them.

It has hard layer of chocolate on top a cream/cheesecake like filling/layer under that with a thick crust of brownie/coconut mesh. . . Even if you don't enjoy coconut you would love them.

But apparently they come from an island in British Columbia named Nanaimo. . I look at pictures of it and it is just your classic fishing town with the beautiful pine trees and rocky shores. Someday i want to go visit, and see if the nanaimo bars taste any different then the ones in Ontario.

Also. . . (this is what got my mind going to write this post) I would love to visit Banff (Banff film festival tonight!) And stay in the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, and spend a week exploring and hiking in the Park, Eating Moose stake for dinner and sleeping in a big log bed with a fireplace. (that's what you do right?)













Tonight is the Banff film festival, I won't get to go two nights in a row, I'm leaving for Seattle in the morning, SO i might just have to drive down to the Salt lake viewing . . . Maybe not. We'll see how wonderful tonight is. I've been so much more out doorsy now that i'm in Logan. . . . I think Logan canyon has now won number one spot in my heart for favorite Canyons. . . I NEVER thought that I would turn my back on AF canyon like that.

I can't wait for the warm weather. I want to ride my bike. But not until i can go snow boarding a few more times and snowshoeing with the Entomology club, that should be fun.

5 comments:

Ky said...

BANFF was wild! Enjoy it tonight!

p.s I have the strongest feeling I would love nanaimo

Li said...

Ben's family lived in Nanaimo for 5 years... that's where they were when I met him. When we got engaged, we took a trip up there to visit. SOOOOO gorgeous!! Definitely visit if you get a chance. It's an 18 hour road trip, including the ferry. Not bad.

Li said...

P.S. Nanaimo bars sound YUMMY.

Nathan said...

I've been all over this land and I still haven't seen 1/10th of it. I'm smiling ear to ear with these comments.

I love my country, more than you could know.

I could give you a list of amazing places to see and still there's more.

Just stop on by and let loose. We'd love to have the whole lot of ya. This is my home, and it is your home. You're never a stranger. The doors open, we never lock ours.

We'll have B.C. salmon on the B.B.Q. on the cedar plank, some fresh East Coast Lobster with lemon and dill. Some fresh water mussles. You've never had a Beaver Tail (it's a dessert for crying out loud!)
And for fun, Cirque de Soleil in Montreal or the Buskers.

Too much, just too much. Thank you for loving us so much.

Right back at ya guys!

McKayJoice said...

Hey! that is wild Li. .. i can't believe you didn't get a nanaimo bar while you were there.

Nathan i LOVE your Canadian pride!

Powered by Blogger.