Thursday, November 13, 2008

Those Fools!

Rainy day with my cute rain boots.

I walked into the biology building today. . . a few professors here and there, but for the most part everyone was gone.

Up stairs to the insect lab, i found a room with two students in it.

"Um, hello, Yes. I'm here to help with the insect tours."

"oh yeah, last door on your left at the end of the hall, it shouldn't be locked, if it is locked come back"

"thank you"

Down the hall and opened a door to a very large empty dark class room.
I had no idea what i was doing or if i was in the right place.

I turned on the lights they took a second to flicker on.

I felt like i was indenturing.

I walked in and saw two long tables with office chairs round them, on the tables were about 20-25 cases of insects. . . . All different kinds, the Goliath beetle to the Gloriosa beetle, laternflies, and walking sticks. . . it was AMAZING!. . . so i put my purse down and pulled out my camera to take some pictures.

I found a glass case full of live cockroaches and opened it up so i could play with them.

It was wonderful.

But by now it was 2:15ish and I was told this "tour" was to start at 2 so i didn't know what to do, and started to fantasize about how i could steal all of the insects.

Then i heard in the hall way lots of foot steps. . .and more and more footsteps.

I was so nervous when they came to the door and yes the door opened and this man poked in his head.

I didn't know if this man was from the university, or if he was lost, or if he was he owner of the mass collection of little creatures.

"Hi."
"Hello" as he swung the door open to reveal a plethora of children behind him. And they all started to walk in.

"Where do you want us?"
(what? me? who the heck are you? why are you asking me that?, i'm not in charge)

"Um, well lets see, how many kids do you have? They can just each grab a seat and we can rotate"

So he yelled at his kids to take a seat
"allright i need everyones attention, all eyes up here. . . Now everybody listen to our special helper tell us what to do"
Then took a step back and to the side . . . and there i was. . . thinking "what to do? what to do?"

"Alright! my name is Miss McKay. .. How many of you like insects?. . .How many hate insects and think they are creepy?"
"Great! What is your name? did you know that you are sitting in front fo the biggest beetle in the world?"
. . . . .I stole the show. . i was the most popular person in Logan today. . i walked over and told them all to be quite and i grabbed a bunch of the cockroaches and made them hiss.

And i was being witty and professional. They loved me. I had them all fooled! The teacher must have thought i was a grad student, with all the use-less jabble i knew.

I was plesently suprised with all the things I did know about the insects, I could answer almost all the questions and the ones I didn't know- I made up really cool answers.

I yelled "rotate" and the kids would switch seats. . .

Then at the end the teacher said "Alright can we tell our special helper thank you"

(all the kids, in a slow unison) "THANK YOU"

As they walked out the door i gave them all a high five.

. .. And there a was again, alone in this big ol' class room.. .

I picked up my purse and turned off the lights and walked home.

Not talking to anyone, no one even knew i was there. . . .weird.

4 comments:

RaVoe said...

Do you realize how truly awesome you are? I am getting on the phone right now to get all the details about your amazing experience. Talk to you soon....Mom

Rowdy said...

strideulate.

Whittron said...

what if you didn't show up, that would have been a sad day for the kids.

Unknown said...

that is such a fun story! i wish i had cool stories... and could take charge even though i wasn't supposed to.

Wonderful

Powered by Blogger.