Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Orchard shack

I loved Whitney's little home the second she moved into it last year. She calls it The Orchard Shack, and as you turn off the busy street and park your car on the brick driveway under the water chestnut trees it really does feel like you are out in the country, by an orchard.

I watch ridiculous people all the time on blogs give little tours of their high fashion homes, and posh designer bed spreads, give highlights of beautiful things that seem so impersonal to me, so mass produced.

So today, in attempted to vocalize my belief in a more "down to earth" place. And give a wicked shout out to how cool I know my sister is. . . I give you- The Orchard shack.

 It is a very small guest house to a big brick home up in the foothills of Provo. Just big enough for one, yet perfect to entertain a small crowd. With her hide-a-bed couch and Queen bed she can sleep 5 if needed.
 The walls are a warm yellow with this great exposed brick, and she has it tastefully packed with bright colors, salt and pepper shakers, wonder women, big pillows and good books.
The little spiral stair case is my favorite part, why are their no more spiral stair cases in this world? It is so cute how is twirls around, taking up such a little space. (the quilt on her bed,she made. The green couch she bought and then re-upholstered)
 The bathroom is so cute with a clawfoot tub, pedestal sink and checkered floor. Whitney has no shower curtains and just takes baths now. And while she sits and soaks she practices her Harmonica.

The bright colors and country vibe is exactly what Whitney is all about. She says she loves being there alone, taking a book out on her porch and reading. She has no Internet (no computer) and no cable, so she fills her down time with sewing, with reading, with talking on the phone, or going on bike rides or hikes right up the Provo canyon.

It's charming, and so welcoming, and perfect for Whitney.
Makes me wish I could find a fun loft apartment in Salt Lake.
I feel like mine and Whitney's houses would be very different styles, but her style of country/cowboy/color is brilliant. Hope you find it inspirational, as I do.  



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whitney has the cutest hide-a-way ever and she continues to "tweak it up". I love all that you have done to the place since I stopped in for the tour.

Love you guys,

a. patty

RaVoe said...

Dear daughter, please have a song ready on that harmonica for this years talent show! I'm thinking Thanksgiving would be a good time.

Juje said...

I love her house!

Whittron said...

Love you too, Patty!

Anyone can stop by the orchard shack any time, especially since now it's starting be perfect weather for hot tea.

Whittron said...

The Orchard Shack also tweets: http://twitter.com/#!/OrchardShack

Powered by Blogger.