Friday, April 29, 2016

2nd year, 2 hives.


This past week has been a whirl wind of bees. Visiting bee shops where crates of bees have broken open, spilled out and no one is phased, brewing meed, keeping a crate of bees in my bedroom one night while I slept, moving fast to beat mother nature, changing out feeders and watching first hand thermology clusters and being awe-struck. But I fear this blog gets too wordy, moral of the story is- they are here. Two hives this year, one in Drew’s Parent’s backyard again and one in Bluffdale next to a green house at a co-workers house. They all look so healthy and alive, it is beautiful. Drew held the GoPro for me while I put in the first hive. He kept his distance and I told him if you get stung just calmly walk away. Twice he said “I’m stung. . . I’m stung. . . “  While he walked back into the brush and once he was away he would say “Oh, no, I’m good.  I didn’t get stung!” as he would walk back to the hive. It can be a little unsettling to have 100+ bees flying all around you when you are a little unsure. Drew was cracken me up. 

I drove the second hive down to Bluffdale, I turned on some Italian music for them, they loved it. Max and Sam and their new girl friends came to watch I thought for sure Max would have a panic attack but he actually remained quite calm. It’s fun to show off, it really is a quite incredible process. 

So let the royal rumpus begin! I learned a ton last year, and already feel like I’m off to a much better start, keeping bees has become such a fulfilling thing, and it makes me love the warm sunshine days and believe in God all over again. 
We’ll see who brings in more honey. 





I made a lil' video of the other hive, put it on my Instagram. I put music over the entire thing and tried to make it all fancy. Putting in the bees I was focus and not really caring what drew was doing. Later hearing his commentary killed me, the bees make him nervous.





0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.