I sat down with my sweet little Mexican Roommate last night. I love her so much. She is so kind and helpful in every way. Last night with a nice lil’ heart to heart I found that she is a tough cookie.
She is a Dentist in Mexico, she is quite brilliant and dedicated. But wanted a better life for herself so she has been through hell to come here.
Her degree means nothing now, and because she has not acquired her work visa she can’t work here yet so she does volunteer work and has her Mom send her money to help pay for the very few things she needs to get by.
I got all teary when she told me that it was divine intervention that she found me.
It was January in Utah and she was living in a Garage, it would get very cold and she was scared she would get sick and she had no health insurance. She had been looking for places to stay and had narrowed it down to 12, she had a the list of 12 and decided to text the one number.
I was receiving a mass amounts of text at the time of people who wanted to come see the place so when I received her text wanting to meet before I got off work at 5 I wouldn’t even entertain the idea.
“I work until 5, you can come Saturday but I may have the room filled at that point”
She didn’t want to walk home in the dark, and it was quite cold. But she thought to herself – I will either be in bed in the cold garage, or out looking at the apartment, either way it is cold. So she came by at 5.
If I had any idea I would have let her stay that night. But that is how she is, she is a fighter who asks for help, but not handouts.
I have lived with her for 2 months now and this is the first time I’ve heard this story.
She would walk the mall because she couldn’t bare being home in the cold. She applied for a work visa, a special one that you have to have a degree to qualify for, and she
So after our heart to heart we went to the Rancho Market, and ended up cooking a bunch of Mexican food and had a mini feast. She asks me to explain English phrases, and I laugh thinking she could not have picked a worse person to be teaching her.
***************Side note: Why do we say “I’m ON the plane” yet we say “I’m IN the car”???? That is a weird one to try and explain. “IN the boat” but “ON the bus” . . . That is weird. Also: Her favorite English word is “Mischievous” she calls it ‘Cute’ and thinking about it, I couldn’t agree more. ***********************
I have no idea what I ate last night, but it was great. Tonight we are making salsa.
Thus far, has been my new favorite person of 2016. I just love her.
2 comments:
But what does this amazing woman look like? A picture please.
And why have I not met her?
Post a Comment