Sunday, March 6, 2016

Hot Tomali

The first night I got to DC I finished the 1/2 mile walk from the metro to get to my Hostel it dawned on me. I don't even now what D.C stands for. District of Columbia? Why does that feel right? I don't know what that means.

This is where I stayed, It was an older group of travelers, it was clean and everyone was overly friendly, and it was in a great location close to the downtown, around the corner from Chinatown-



Charming as hell in the middle of this busy city. I was picturing a lot more parks, a lot more areas that reminded me of Tommy hilfigure, here I almost feel like I did when I was in New York. Maybe because I lugged my backpack around the subways there too. 

I listened to Lana Del Rey's National Anthem almost all day, at least 20 times. It is the only political song I know (My style of politics) Just put in my headphones that first night and went out walking, stopped by a store to get some hairspray, then found a place to get some dinner.
I love traveling alone. I love being consumed in music and unfamiliar buildings and life.



I stayed up until 1 am talking to this lovely lady. (secret picture I took as we talked)
She is personal friends with Michelle Obama, her daughter dated Ashton Kutcher, she lived in a penthouse above the White House and moved out because she got abused, she was giving the Chinese girls in bunk #3 and 4 makeup tips. She looked like she had been living there for weeks. Out of her mind. Seriously. We talked forever, me laying in my bed and her laying in hers. . . God bless hostels.



Jillian picked me up the next morning and day two started with meeting buckwheat blueberry pancakes at the market. Beautiful.

 Then we met up with the animated weird-os Jillian calls friends. Introductions were very formal, with
 hand shakes and eye contact. I dove in to make a joke and got talked over and felt like a fool because I finished talking and no one heard me but Jillian. 
All conversations have a thread of political nonsense running through them.
Three friends talking-
“I only got four hours of sleep last night”
“Well, I only got six”
“Well, be glad you and not Trump, he only got three”

I have no idea how to put in my two cents at this point. Is that real? They are talking about Trump’s sleeping schedule? They KNOW Trump’s sleeping schedule??? I wish I could write out conversations I heard going on around me, but I honestly have no idea what they are talking about.  But I don’t blame them, they migrate to this city to talk with each other with this weird lingo and somehow with these conversations they are trying to make a difference. We all walked around the air/space museum, one of them had coordinated a scavenger hunt for us all. Jillian and I lacked motivation and just goofed around. The museum was amazing, it made me want to gut out a massive air craft and live in it. But toward the end I was antsy to get back to the city. I had only seen the monuments from a free way on ramp or a passing train, get me back in that city and away from these people!

Jillian and I made it back to the city had dinner at Amsterdamn Falawful and it was one of those meals that I will dream about and crave later. It was a slap in the mouth of flavor.With beautifully tender meet.



By that time the sun had set, admittedly I was frustrated that I spent too much time with a bunch of people who were not interested in anything but politics, and I was longing to see the city. In my mind I was attempting to plan a jam packed day for the morning so I wouldn't feel like my time in DC was a waste.

Jillian and I took the Metro back in the city, it was chilly, and Jillian was set on renting bikes. I wasn't prepared for the cold at all, I was feeling a bit groggy but still willing to tag along with Jillian for whatever she wanted to do. We paid for the bikes, hopped on and I made some comment like "I cant believe I'm in DC with you" to witch she responded "we should go to Paris" I don't know why she would say Paris, but it was her spirit of adventure and wonder that kicked me back into this upbeat mode, I looked at the streets and the bridges that surrounded us and were lit with these romantic lights, and all of the sudden it felt like Paris "Jillian. . . . . I think we are in Paris" and that was it, the magic of the trip I was looking for. We were surrounded by this brisk night air, and large empty sidewalks, Jillian can't help but sing with whatever she is doing, so I chime in. Trying to join Jillian's loud and proud voice.
"Watch out for the puddles!"
"The Pot-holes?"
"The PUDDLES'
"Pot holes???"


I had no idea all the monuments were so close to each other, or that beautiful park grounds connected all of them, I had no idea that the Washington Monument was the center and this tall pillar that stood tall above any other building for miles. The night was cold and I was prepared in no way to ride bikes. But the warmth of America and Freedom kept us warm. Flying on our bikes like and American Eagle. 
To see the memorials illuminated, standing in the middle of this cold dark air was stunning. It had a much bigger impact on me then I expected. It wasn’t about how much sleep Trump got that night, it was about how beautiful our country is, how old the roots are, about my Grandpas who fought for our country. It was about Martin Luther's Dreams about Honest Abe's fatherly stare, it was about JFK and forbidden love and tragic loss. . and about TJ's block of cheese.

It was a night I will never forget.







Day three was chill, Jillian made me wear her spring lipstick, she took me to Gravely point to watch the airplanes come in. It was just a testament to how wonderful she is that that is a spot she wanted to show me. She also thought seeing the longest elevator in the metro was a tourist worthy point, we rode it twice and timed it. I'm sure no one in DC cares about this escalator, but she does. We saw the biggest Catholic cathedral in the US (my request) and it was kinda cool.
I met up with an old Utah state friend, rode more bikes, gave my phone number to a black hip-hop dancer with crazy eyes.


Jillian let me know that "The Subway" is in New York, and "The Metro" is in DC. And if you go to New York and ask them where the Metro is, they will tell you it is in DC.
The waffle pattern on the ceiling was mesmerizing it made you feel like you were deep in the Earth's core, with no intentions on surfacing.













DC was nothing like I thought it would be, and everything that I needed it to be.
Pure Magic. I blame it all on Jillian.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.