Sunday, August 30, 2015

Going 35, I'm outta control!

I spent a good two hours on my bike yesterday.

I put on my fur, fired her up took her to Liberty Park, then over to State street then home.
Then took off the sweaty hot fur, grabbed some headphones and took off again, winding around every street in the Avenues, then I was brave enough to ride down 13th east to Sugar House, then more of Sugar house, then to 2100 south, to pick up a passenger that proved to be a little more tricky with a good looking fellow on the back. Then we headed to 3300 South for dinner, then back to 2100 south to drop him off, then home again.

Now this may not sound impressive to you, but to know how to shift, and to zip around on my very own bike created this beautifully empowering feeling of summer, youth, freedom and independence.
(Sometimes laced with the feeling of humility when my little Honda couldn't speed up as quick at the line of 5 cars behind me. )

It's the furthest I've ever rode her, and she rode beautifully, firing up every time, first time, no problem.  The night air felt wonderful, and I would pass through smells of campfires, sprinklers, food, cigarette smoke, garbage and traffic. Made me feel alive, Summer in it's finest.
It felt like I was seeing the little houses and big trees in Salt Lake for the first time.

I hope to do a whole post about the bike soon, but I'll leave this here for now.
It makes me so happy.

2 comments:

SGKZ said...

Dear Miss McKay,
I've been reading your blog for some time now - since before your trip to SE Asia. It's the only personal blog I look at with any regularity. I started blogging myself last year - as a record of the year-long overland journey I'm making with my family from the UK to Australia. We're currently in Thailand and I think we have about another two months of travel to go. The blog is at sgkz2014.blogspot.com and I would feel truly honoured if you dropped by sometime and had a look. Cheers..............Geordie

Anonymous said...

Blog MORE.

Powered by Blogger.