Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Queen Mary

It has been such a joy to beekeep, these tiny little creatures have made my little world a little brighter.
The drive to see them is about twenty minuets from my apartment so when I visit I stay for a while. 
I bring them watermelon, I give them a piece and I eat a piece. I’ll sing songs to them, and then I’ll humm songs to them when I get paranoid that someone is in the trees watching me. I inspect the hive, then put it back together and sit and watch them go in and out. I was thinking of hauling a chase lounge down there because I really could lounge there for hours. 




I found the queen yesterday upon inspection, I must of been blind before because she stuck out like a rose among weeds. Maybe my eyes are just being trained better on how to see her. I wasn’t going to name her, and if I did it was going to be Latin and powerful, but I saw her yesterday and named her Mary. (For a few reasons: The love of Freddie Mercury’s life was his girlfriend of 6 years named Mary, even when he decided to be promiscuous and crazy she was still his dear friend to the day he died. Also: And Marry Poppins Also: Our mother Mary, Guadeloupe, the virgin Mary, is for some reason a hilarious great point in Catholic art, I just love it. And like the virgin Mary’s immaculate conception I really don’t understand how the queen bee can mate once and be fertile the rest of her life, that also could be viewed as an immaculate conception. )

Also: She looks like a Mary.  (Can you see her? In the middle?)

Needless to say I love the little guys, they are so happy are aren’t too bothered when I open up the hive and look around. I read in a book this week that for some reason when a bee leaves the hive it travels South for a few feet before it takes off in the direction is needs to go. Isn’t that weird? I sat and watched yesterday and that is about 80% true, some bees are rebels and take off in whatever direction they want but for the most part they would depart the hive traveling South.
Can you see the cute little larva in this one? New troops are coming!



The Honey production is also happening and it is nothing short of a miracle, God exists in the moments of watching them. 

4 comments:

Jen said...

So Neat! You Learn Something New Everyday!! :D

Joy said...

she is such a mary.

ellenbush said...

how neat that you are doing this. it's on point with your interests :) I am terrified of bee's stings but I think they are marvelous and I don't blame you for being fascinated with and wanting to watch them all day. mary is the perfect name. have they stung you yet?

McKayJoice said...

Been stung three times. . . But thats not bad!!
And they were my fault, I'm learning to be more gentle.

Powered by Blogger.