Monday, June 22, 2015

Its a Hybrid!

This is Joseph Patric and Zach, (I regret now not jumping in the picture.) 



Joseph and Zach live on the romantic Island of Victoria British Columbia. They announced back in March that they were holding a contest to win a VW Van, a 1976 Wesfedalla camper van. They called her Clemintine, she was a beautiful blue color, and they were just giving her away, so strings attached to whoever had the best story.

That’s it. A story and a picture. That’s all they wanted.


"Most folks that sell us a bus become our friends, and are thrilled that the camper they made memories in, will in fact be refurbished for someone else to enjoy, make their own memories and continue on... 

A simple life is a good life, and working on Westies with my son has truly made for great times together. We feel this giving something back, as the next part of the adventure. (... in a few days since posting this contest we have already heard back so many awesome & heart-warming stories - each week we will acknowledge each entry, to confirm receipt... and keep this legacy rolling on!). 

My grandpa said, that in this world, nobody owns anything except their character... so fine, in order to continue good karma, we are putting "our money where our mouth" is - for simply the most inspiring story sent to us. Call it a, 'what would Jesus or Jimmy Buffett do, type of thing'. 

So yes, there is one condition that comes with the sale of this van. The condition is: that the new owner/family MUST agree to keep Clementine in a proper manner. To Love, Honour and Service her ! When you see her, you will totally understand why. Amore, allow yourself to fall in love... "


-Don’t you just love that??
Just beautiful people with inspirational hearts.  

So I wrote a story, and then I wrote a second draft and then a third and then ninth. . and then I sent it in.

The wait was painfully long, and in the end they gave the bus to a well deserving guy named Patrick, he build Tepees and has a twinkly smile. 

But they were so moved by all the stories that were sent in that they said they wanted to meet everyone. With and invitation to “Come to the island!” for a BBQ. I had to go, what a great excuse to travel. 

So the Ol' man let me borrow his Hybrid car with amazing gas milage, and it was 17 hours there, with a 2 hour ferry and 17 hours home. With one full day on the island. 
Worth the trip. 

Meeting Joseph after hearing e-mail after e-mail from him was a treat, he spoke just like he typed all over the place and in a rambling manor. Turns out they don’t even run a VW restoration place, WV busses are just an extreme hobby. The real family business is making organic shampoos and soaps out of sugar. . . What?
They are crazy, lovely crazy people who were so happy to have everyone come, they gave us ugly t-shirts and fed us amazing tacos. Others came from all over,  Eric from New Hampshire, Marty & Dianne from North Carolina, Muktaali from Harrison Hot Springs, Christa from Alberta, Jack from Japan, Leah Australia, Duff & MK from Victoria, Guillermo from El Salvador, John & family from Port Alberni, Saara from Finland, Becky & Gary from Nelson and many more awesome Adventurous spirits.


Few in number but proud in spirit. They said that the BBQ will be a yearly thing, and they may be giving away another bus. So next year maybe I’ll take a week off, one day to soak up the salty air on that beautiful Island was not enough. 


Slightly disappointed that the winning bus didn't make it to the BBQ, but other busses showed up, they are so adorable. .  . 







I don't make a bucket list, I rather like to make lists of things I've done.
But if I did make a bucket list visiting the town of Nanamo to eat the famous Canadian Nanamo bar would be on it. I feel in love with this little treat when I lived in Canada,
Coconut chocolate crust, custard/cheesecakey-type filling with a hard dark chocolate top.

To eat one in the quaint place where they originated was perfect.
That Island holds a charm that only the experience its self can describe to you.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.