Tuesday, April 28, 2015

BEES?!

Drew's parents have a deep ravine in their backyard, it is overgrown with wild trees and poison ivy, it has a fallen retaining wall and a little river runs through it. 
It's so charming, and no one goes down there, no one. 
So I asked the Van Dykes if I could put bees down there. 

Scott (Drew's Dad) was worried sick about how I would get down the hill side. 
It's fine! I grew up climbing down a gully everyday of my life, it's fine!

But no, Crazy Old man Van Dyke got antsy and started to build a grand staircase. 
Wrapping down the hill through the poison ivy. 
Drew and I ran up to help him, we didn't have a choice he was making it with or without us. 
36 steps down to the river. 

I love this picture, he was just sitting there trying to figure out what to do. 





After the stairs were done Drew and I planted flowers for the bees along the hill side. 
And cut down over 10 trees to give the bees more sunlight. 
The river that was once overgrown started to look magic. 


We all got poison ivy. 
I got a little on my wrist, and a little on my leg. 
Scott and Drew had to go to the doctor, it spread all over their bodies, blistering and oozing. 
And when I say all over, I mean all over. I don't know why it spread like that thriving in warm places, very special places on their body. 
It was so funny sad. 
So they got out their rage with a gallon on RAID









I was so surprised. Beyond surprised that when I picked up my bees at the post office they just went in the back and grabbed them like it was no different then picking up a letter from grandma.
I thought I would have had to pull my car around back or something. 

This picture makes me so happy. 12,000 bees, no big deal. 


I drove them up to the hive, turned on a little Patsy Cline for them to listen to. 

Drew had to be at work so I met Scott at the house. 
He was excited as a little girl to be able to help. 



It was so exciting to see them after all that time preparing for them, and the years of wanting them.
They really are the most adorable creatures I've ever seen.  

Sadly the Queen was dead. And yes, that's kinda is a big deal. 
So I'm having one overnighted. 



I have never felt more cool. Never. 


8 comments:

Joy said...

No problem, I'll be their queen!!!

McKayJoice said...

Haha! perfect!

Jen said...

NOOOOO... NOT THE QUEEN!!!

How will they thrive without the QUEEN?

jujubeecher said...

I love this so much. I can't believe you can mail bees like that!! Also, you can just dump them out of a box like that? I feel like they would be so pissed and start stinging you like crazy!

McKayJoice said...

Juje- It was crazy, not one sting!

Aaron said...

I can't BEEleive this.

Leah Rebecca said...

You are so cool.
Maybe this is a stupid question but how did you know the Queen was dead out of 11,999 other bees?

McKayJoice said...

The queen comes in a separate little box, the box has an opening that is filled with a sugar substance. That little boxed is placed in the hive and the other bees eat the sugar to free her, it takes about four days and during those four days they learn to love her and so when she is free they except her their queen. . . it is crazy.

Powered by Blogger.