Friday, May 9, 2014

We're fun

There is something about an intense strobe light and deafing music that makes me feel like, even for a bit, I'm in a dream.
That I'm outside of myself, the people around me are just shadows, or elements to the music.


Admittedly I am getting on the older end of clubbing.
My days should have ended with my mid-twentys, but something about dancing is therapeutic to me.
Comparable to a drug.
I think about Merdle's cousin in The Great Gatsby when she said upon being offered a drink
"I have just as much fun on nothing at all!"

Give me a dark room, fast music and Drew Joey and Mason and I will never need drugs.

But today, as late twenty-year-olds we all found ourselves being completely exhausted after two hours of 80s night AREA 51 dancing.
What is happening?
We stepped out of the sweaty pulsating room one by one to gather on the balcony with the fresh air.
And as we looked over the trashy parking lot we asked ourselves why. Why we couldn't dance until two, why all we wanted to do was call it a night at 12:15

"I try to conserve my energy but 80s music is so fast"
"I could barely fist-pump in there"


But when it all boils down to it, it just matters that we went, that we dance, that as celibate crazies we work out frustrations and make new friends.
I love to dance.
My neck is going to hurt tomorrow.


1 comments:

Rachelle said...

thats awesome. someday i would love to dance with you… or around you or amongst. not sure how to write that without sounding strange.

Powered by Blogger.