I avoid conversations about work, because I know, I know I could talk for hours.
I love my job.
I love being in charge and bossing people around.
I love food, making it, prepping it, eating it, recommending it, watching others enjoy it.
I love the drama. "Bread and water for 70, and 86 on the C-Parm!" (If you know what I'm talking about here, you are my new friend, and I'll take you to lunch)
But most of all I love my co-workers.
I love making them laugh, I love the trash talk about customers that happens behind closed doors, I love when the dinner rush hits that the fun and games are over and we all go into work mode, all knowing perfectly how to respond, each one of us doing our part to make the place move smoothly.
I find myself the past few weeks/months caught in a love affair with a Latino man.
(First of all let me say that I, as a Manager can not date any of the staff, it was something I agreed to and signed. And that right there is exciting, "forbidden love" dramatic actions of people loosing jobs will happen if I by chance fall for anyone I work with, SO exciting)
Jose`
When Jose` started working in the kitchen months ago I made the mistake of telling the English speakers that he is so handsome and looks like Zorro. This was an on going joke for a while and was quite comical until the joke was translated into the Spanish language and Jose` was aware of my affection.
(I don't really refer to myself as an 'English speaker' I don't know why I did just then)
Well, maybe it was my blue eyes, or princess laugh, but Jose` was all on board. (these are a few things Jose` has pointed out that he loves about me)
He kept giving me looks across the dinning room that would stop me dead in my tracks and make my heart skip a beat that Zorro had his eye on me.
It was a joke! I don't want to date Jose`! I really need to focus on work!
Then the flowers started, he would wait until almost everyone had left and I was in my office doing the nightly deposit. And he would send in a server with a rose "Jose` wanted me to give this to you"
Across the dinning room he would now not only look my way but draw in the air little hearts.
So I had a chat with him, it needed to stop.
"Jose` I can't date you, I'm your Manager"
"Why not? You no like Mexicans?"
"No, no, I like Mexicans" (trying to make sure after months of my friends telling me I was racist that I was coming across as an equal to the Hispanic race)
"Then why? You have boyfriend?"
"No, but I am your manager, I can't date you because I signed a paper" (I mimic signing a paper certain that this gesture will help him see)
He touches my hand across the counter.
"You say yes, I no work here anymore"
I pull my hand away.
"No Jose` now get back to work, I'm checking this sink tonight, it better look good"
He laughs and watches me walk away.
Codge, is always positive delightful man, is our Culinary Manager who I work quite closely with, he gets the biggest kick out of me and Jose`. And last week sent me a picture of Jose` before he came on the clock, in his street cloths and entitled it "Your pirate fantasy awaits"
I've never seen him with his hair down, it is usually in a nice little bun, with a white chef's hat. So this sent me over the edge, he is so great, with black pants that are as big as a circus tent.
I don't know what to do with him. He calls me his Novia. And I call him Loco.
It is a beautiful thing, and I just pray that Jose` and I are never found alone in the walk-in, because there is no telling what would happen.
Thursday, September 5, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
hahaha mckay you are hilarious! I love this...I hope you and jose catch yourselves alone...muah hahah!
You're nuts.
You're insane.
JOSE SOUNDS AWESOME.
Post a Comment