Monday, August 26, 2013

Wasatch Community Gardens.

It was an overcast day in the city that makes for perfect gardening weather. 
And on 824 South 400 west, in the middle of the city anyone in the community can get there gardening fix at the Wasatch Community Gardens.



This is Emily and Mike. 
Emily is the Garden Stewart for the community side. 
They have helped out with the community garden now for four years. 
"We all share the responsibility and if you do the work that day you get the eggs from the chickens". As she holds up her one egg. 
I guess that is the gamble you take with chickens. 
They seemingly had the cutest little life. 
"We've been gardening and drinking wine all day!"


 The entire place looked like organized chaos, with little notes, and happy flowers.
They have bee hives, and compost piles, it was charming- just a little spot in the city that, with the overcast sky, felt just like a hippie farm in Oregon.



  In addition to renting a plot to garden they work with kids doing summer programs, and hold workshops once a week that you can come learn different things, and meet the wine-drinking crazies. On September 10th they are doing "Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes!" learning to can tomatoes, and while I have no use for that knowledge in my life at this point, I feel this sense of community camaraderie pulling me in, I might just go.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.