Wendover is thrilling and fun, for about two hours. About as long as it takes to drive out there.
After that, I am done. Done with the smell, the sounds, the trashy-ass people that surround the place.
I didn't gamble this time. Sometimes I like to play Backjack. (I'm very good at Blackjack.)
But I figure being unemployed I best not waste any money or even flirt with the idea of paying bills with the false illusions of winnings.
Jordan, on the other hand seems to have more money then to know what to do with.
We spent hours at the craps table until Jordan had lost two hundred bucks, that didn't even phase him.
Jordan threw back a few beers and I let myself be free of judging him for it, because I really do enjoy that fermented smell, and for Wendover it was fitting.
Also yesterday I found myself around lunch time at a Pub downtown, a good friend of mine Nate Anderberg was desperate to watch a football game so we sat at the bar, I got some ginger ale, no ice, so it appears to have a nice Pale lager in front of me, and thus can gain respect from all the drunkards around me with the bar tender the sole keeper to my secret.
It just seemed a bit ironic two beer settings in one day.
Especially when you add the fact that it was my turn to teach in Relief Society the next day and the topic was Word of Wisdom.
Really has put a lot of ideas/questions bouncing around in my head.
And I could expand on that, but I'll spare you.
Conclusion: I sure do love the smell of beer, of wine, of that funky fermented sent that lingers even after the drink is gone. I love the idea of taking a drink at the end of a long day to relax and enjoy the moment, unwind, I think that is an element to life that most don't take advantage of.
Yet, I am, to the bottom of my heart, glad that I was raised not to drink, I'm glad that isn't a part of what makes me, me. As much glitz and glam appeals to me (and I'm not talking about Hollywood parties of appealing cocktails, I'm talking sitting by a mountain lake with a cold beer) it is not something that is for me. It just seems to be a quick way to spend money, a small way to forget about problems that should be dealt with, and (I guess) it's not the best on the liver, and I really do love my liver.
Glad I'm Mormon.
Glad for friends who drink.
Glad my life isn't consumed in gambling in a trashy place like Wendover.
Monday, October 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
This is a really good blog post, and I've thought about/questioned/felt grateful for the same things.
(Okay, not the deepest comment, but I'm just picking up what you're putting down.)
Post a Comment