Sending this out into the universe in hopes it will circle back around to my own benefit, but I doubt it. I'm sure this will be more of a well-deserved vent. . . . .
For anyone who wants to go out to eat, at a sit-down, you-are-being-waited-on place, allow me to give you some things you should know (notice: not "good suggestions" these things, I feel are a MUST)
-Tip over 15%, always. (and if you are a kind hearted human you should just always tip 20%)
If you have a poor server, let someone know the service sucked, instead of protesting with a 4% tip.
-A sit-down restaurant is not a place for children. If you do bring children, control them. If you cannot control them, be generous when tipping.(how is this not common knowledge?)
-If you, for any reason, get your food discounted, always tip on the full amount the bill was before the discount. (again, are we too stupid to figure this out?)
-If you don't like your food, tell your server, we (for the most part) want you to be happy. Don't eat your entire plate THEN complain about the food.
-Just sit where the host tells you to sit. (Am I right Leah?) -Want to suggest a booth? sure, but other then that, just sit where you are asked.
-Answer the servers question when they ask you something, we are not there to take up your time, just talk to us. (I blows my mind the amount of people who ignore the server)
"Can I get you something to drink?" (they look right at you glance back to their menu and then in an unimpressed voice say "I'll have the Firecracker chicken, brown rice" (um, we made eye contact there, almost positive that you heard me, what the?)
"ok, firecracker on brown, and what did you want to drink with that?
(very quickly and very put out) "water"
(really Lady?)
"ok, thanks, I'll be right back"
-And if you want to order glass after glass of beer, feel free to sit in my section. It will be a good time, anytime. I will take very good care of you.
(drinkers are the best tippers and I love them for it)
Blows my mind that the Mormons are kinda known for not tipping well, and I guess the drinkers mindset is that if you tip well the bartender will take care of you. And I'm not going to lie, I'll run back to the bar and tell the bartender to "Make his drink a little stronger" and they are more then happy to slide a little extra alcohol in the drink for me.
I love my job, serving tables has always been a pure joy to me, and for the most part I don't get too crazy dealing with people who don't know basic dining etiquette. But some days, like today, when I find myself getting choked up by hearing Queen/David Bowie's "Under Pressure" or I find myself for whatever reason being mildly attracted to gross/repulsive Co-worker Chris, or I went out looking for diner and came home after an hour of looking in the city to sit and eat a spoonful of honey and call it good. Days like today when the world seems a little rocked- I get so crazy that people are crazy. People, they're the worst.
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Let me give you a parents perspective on that. If we leave the kids at home we are already paying a butt load to a babysitter so that we can enjoy a night without the kids destroying our dinner. If we tip less than 20% its because we are poor and dinner and a babysitter are costing us a fortune so that we can have a night of peace. If we do bring the kids to the restaurant, it means there were no babysitters available or we are celebrating and feel that the children should also be apart of said celebration or family outing. Unfortunately we are never certain of how volatile the children will be and melt downs and tantrums are sometimes inevitable. I know that we always tip more when the server is more than patient and understanding of our situation and still able to do a good job. Now for cheapskates that do tip well just because they are cheap, they are just dumb.
I am not a big fan of the human race lately....they are the worst1
Agreed. People are the worst.
I don't know it posted by "thompsons". This is Vanessa.
Well put Alison, I don't argue that.
You should see some of the idiot parents that come to eat that have no sense of right or wrong with the children, then expect us to clean up messes the kids make with very little tip, it makes me crazy.
Post a Comment