Wednesday, August 29, 2012

We are amazing.

DREW is amazing. . .

I know I already talked about Saloon night, but it really is amazing the ideas Drew congers in his imagination and then makes them a reality.

At DI about a month ago? two months ago? Drew bought an old headboard, with a mirror in it. So ugly, very 80's style. . and had a dream to turn it into the bar for the saloon.
The next day at work he sent me the picture he drew of what he was thinking.

And with a little lumber, help from his set-designer Dad the two of them made almost exactly a bar like drew's picture, I was blown away.

We stained it and painted it to match the headboard. .  . . .
. . . and it was stunning. So amazing, he even had it wired with lights.




MCKAY and LEAH are amazing. . .
I had seen once or twice on TV these bottles make out of sugar, they looked exactly like beer bottles yet were very breakable. It was perfect for saloon night, Drew needed to have them. . So Leah and I decided that as a little surprise to drew we would make him some of these bottles.

After I stayed up way too late watching too many how to youtube videos, I took a bottle, cleaned it off and covered it in liquid latex, layers on layers letting it dry after each coat.
The next day the latex had become as a giant rubber band, and peeled right off the bottle giving us a mold.

We heated up sugar and corn syrup to 300 degrees and poured the sugar into the mold, rotating it for a half hour, then letting it cool off for about 3 hours.
And then, with great care we peeled away the latex mold and there it was a sugar bottle, so great.

We only had time to make three of them, but it made Saloon that much more enjoyable to have drew spontaneously break bottles over peoples heads. . .

I was so dang proud at how good they looked, I was so amazed we pulled it off after just watching some lame ol' youtube videos.
I am so amazing.

(Sugar bottle, real bottle and mold)


That's all, I just needed to brag for a second, again, about how great Saloon was.

2 comments:

Whittron said...

You and Drew should have a reality TV show!

Jen said...

SO AWESOME!! :D

Powered by Blogger.