Friday, July 13, 2012

Millcreek Canyon

Leah has started a blog. . this puts her on step five of becoming like me.
Step one- night owl. Done. And she hates me for it.
Step two- stop drinking milk. . she was hesitant at first, but now she loves her coconut milk.
Three was hard, it mostly consists of music choices. . it kills me that she knows all the words to Carly Rae Jepson's Call me Baby, but we are working on it
Four- consisted of taking her home to blend it well with the family, no problem there, she has a little Orton in her blood, they all loved her.
. . .Step five is start a blog.

It is about a 25 step process.
But she is blogging about me. . .(CLICK HERE) . .I love it. It makes me want to blog about her. 



Last night I couldn't sleep, did some e-mailing, did some cleaning, I never actually laid in my bed and attempted to sleep, but I knew I would be unhappy if I did, the day just seemed unfinished, I still had the will to do something.

So I left on a hike. Wanted to find a place to watch the sunrise.

I like to do things that genuinely scare me sometimes, like my weird form of a Mormon drug, a little rush.
Last night it was hiking in the dark. 

And I was scared out of my mind, the forest is a freaky place to be alone.
I arrived in millcreek canyon at about 4:00am and started off on the trail.

It started to lighten up at about 5 but that was the longest hour of my life, I had my headphones in, listening to my music yet was very aware of my heart beat.

About that time when I was feeling more confident, I rounded the corner to find a massive moose, with big antlers right in the middle of the trail, maybe 10-15 feet in front of me. No exaggeration, I have never been that close to a moose in my life, including my childhood trips to the Bean Museum.

We startled each other, it rose it's head from grazing and looked right at me.
My body froze and immediately started to shake and I could feel the temperature in my face drop, it was really weird. I can't remember a time where I had been frightened like that.

After I mustered up the courage I slowly started to step backwards one foot after another as the moose watched my every move.
When I was, what I thought, a safer distance away I turned and started to run down the trail, as fast as I could.
The trail I had been on for about an hour, I was at the bottom in less then 30 minutes.


I sat in Rav for a little while, ate some blueberries, then drove about a mile down the road to another trail head I saw. I didn't know anything about this trail but it looked friendly.

When 6:02 hit, the sun was coming up and I had almost reached "Dog Lake", it was beautiful.
Fresh, cold mountain air, the smell of the wild flowers. . it was great. Just what my soul needed.

I got home at about 9, slept until 2.
Good reason to sleep in.
Love my mountains.







2 comments:

sunshine said...

WOW! That is a pretty crazy awesome adventure, I am glad you got to see that Moose and that you didn't get hurt.

I think a healthy dose of scary situations are good in life.

Please enjoy the mountains for me, since I moved to this Caribbean Islands I really miss mountains and hiking, believe it or not our highest elevation on this almost flat island is the municipal dump, LOL!

Anonymous said...

You're a weird girl.

Powered by Blogger.