Monday, December 12, 2011

Jesús Cristo

I came home last night right before midnight, to find the Catholic church by my apartment was hopping!
I ran home and found all my roommates asleep, so I took off alone.

When entering the church I immediately became aware that it was Spanish night. (Whatever the proper term is for that) I saw one other older white guy, but other then that I was the ONLY white person I saw the entire time, and the church was PACKED.

I stood at the back, listening to the Spanish sermon, smiling at people who would try to speak Spanish to me. . at one point I had to shake hands with everyone I was standing around. There was a full choir behind the priest and they had this beautiful hallow sound that filled the entire place.

Then they did the entire bread and wine, the got out the incense and lit candles. . it is always interesting to me to watch.

Then from the back of the church, about 20 people came running in with MASSIVE feather head dresses, half naked, with bells on their feet, and blowing horns as the approached the front, they surrounded the stage and jumped up and down, and blew their horns. . . I didn't know if this was a special Christmas thing, or if the Catholics had just entered a new level mad. . and if I could speak Spanish I would have been able to tell.

But I just sat in wonder. . I watched the entire thing, stayed a little bit later, shook hands with the priest.
Watched these beautiful Hispanic people humbly dip there fingers in the holy water and cross themselves.
Glad they had Christ in their life.
The entire smell of the place reminded me of Europe.

Then I walked home, wishing I could speak Spanish.
(I'll just find a Spanish speaking friend and go again next week.)





6 comments:

Kylie said...

They were definitely half naked! I love that you just crashed Mass. And that you stayed the whole time, not caring that you don't speak Spanish. You are so cool.

Sydnie said...

You mean you would have been able to tell if you spoke Spanish? I think you do speak English.. ha ha!!

The next time you go to midnight mass, call me. I'll get out of bed for it and meet you. I want to go so bad.

Ky said...

I would like to schedule a walking tour and can midnight mass conclude the tour please, and thank you.

Jen said...

i have to say, that I want to be more like you. have the courage to do some remarkable things. you're amazing! I've always wanted to go to a midnight mass!

Emo said...

I love your life... I want to be in it more.

McKayJoice said...

EMO- get in my life, why is this not happening?

Arizona- I will do a special night tour for you, with all the cool dark ally ways and grave yards I love.

Syd-Anytime! Serious.
(and I'm sticking to the English comment, it's funny that way)

Ky- half naked, dancing around the alter. . so weird.

Jen-no no YOU are amazing.

Powered by Blogger.