Sunday, September 11, 2011

"Happiness is a Homemade Afghan."




My Grandma, (if you remember) Lives in Ferron Utah,
Middle of nowhere,  NOWHERE, Ferron.
 And this weekend, they had Peach Days. So we took some friends, Whintey's new boyfriend and a 5th wheel trailer, and went down to play in the small town madness.
It was a blast.




(Willy rapped up in that afghan is precious.)




The day started at 10am with the parade. .
 With so much candy, and so many big trucks


 Just look at that picture! This was the parade! As you looked up the street it was just a line of cars, it was so crazy, so redneck, so wonderful. Grandma just kept saying "We do things differently around here"


Then Grandma had arranged for Max to compete in the soap box derby. . .
 Max and his crew took 2nd, I mean, 3rd place. . . he won a drill and got a little trophy.
 
 After they let me and Willy race. (It was a lot scarier then it looks, thank goodness for those hay bales.)

Food at the ONLY food place in town- the Grub Box. (cash only)
Willy tried to have a REAL good attitude, there was no price adjustment.
Then it was the Horse Races. . . .
Sam asked Grandma if she had anything "cowboy" he could wear to the races. Grandma gave him her dad's hat, not very cowboy, but so so great. Cassy needed a hat too, but then took it off when we got pulled over and didn't want to look like an idiot for the Ferron cops.
Ribbon fries. Have you guys tried these? SOOooo Good!

(please note Sam, who without saying a word walked out on to the track to get his picture taken with the winning horse, and the Ferron royalty) Hilarious. With that hat! oh man, Sam is so weird!



 Then to end the day with the demolition derby. . .Willy and Cassey had never been to one before, and they will never be the same.
When the demolition derby was coming to an end they called down girls who were "18 years or older, and tough" to come down for a chance to drive a derby car in the ending powder puff round.

I ran down they gave me car #22, I got in the car and my feet couldn't touch the petals, so they told me they would put a pillow behind my back. They made me sign a form so I wouldn't sue them. And I was good to go!

I was going to drive a car in a demolition derby!! It was going to be wild!

The only problem is that my car had one more round to go, and if it didn't make it through the round running at the end I wouldn't be able to drive.

Unfortunately car 22 caught fire and died.

So heavy hearted, I'll have to try again next year. I was SO CLOSE.

We all went to the dance where the hicks had a line dance for EVERY song. . Who line dances to Lady Gaga?! They were blown away at Willy and Max. . BLOWN AWAY. It might be one of my favorite dances I've been too.

Ferron, is a good time, every time.
That town will never forget us.


But the best part of the entire thing is my Grandma. She is so great to let us all come crash at her place. To make us hot taco soup and entertain us with her stories.

I knew she followed my blog, but while visiting she showed me a HUGE stack of papers. of all the blog post she prints off and saves.

My blog, hard copy.

So great, so touching that she is clear down in crazy Ferron thinking about me and interested in the funny things I put on this thing.

She also had made for me a beautiful Afghan, she says every stitch it is represents the people in my life, and the people that will be in my life.

So to all of you I know- I now have you wrapped up in a stitch in a blanket. A beautiful blanket from my beautiful grandma.


She is the best.
The Best.

2 comments:

Whittron said...

the elderly "float" is one of the worst things I have ever seen.

RaVoe said...

Sam in the winners circle wearing that dumb hat standing behind the Emery county royalty delights me to no end!

Powered by Blogger.