Thursday, January 13, 2011

We'll be rocken till the sun goes down.

Today I wanted to get closer to these mountains, let the majestic jungle become a part of me. . . and get a step away from the crazy drunk backpackers. So I set off straight toward the mountain (figuring I would stumble upon some trail.)

I did not find a trail but came across a sign, in the middle of nowhere. Seriously, I was walking through a rice field and saw this funny sign. . So I followed the arrow and about a half mile later I found another sign.
I got closer and closer to the mountains vines and jungle all round me, and just when I was feeling lost I saw a hammock and two Asian men and some children just hanging out, in the jungle. . there was a sign that read 10,000 kip , I figure this sign meant it was payment to get into this "cave", so I walked over to the little smiley Asian man and handed him 10,000 kip.

Little did I know at this point, I had just paid for a tour guide to take me up the entire mountain. . . he asked for my name and then said "ok, follow me". . and we walked toward the mountain.

Never at any point of my life have I been grateful for trail groomers, what an amazing idea we have in the Great Rockys (thanks Aaron) and something the Asians really need to look into. We were bush-whacking and rock climbing up the mountain. At some points there were little bamboo laters, but every time one popped up I felt like it was a little miracle that this man had even located it. . there was no rhyme or reason to his climbing. . and he was old and fast. . at times I felt like I was on a quest to become a ninja, following my Sensai up the mountain to prove my dedication, or whatever.



We had hiked for what seemed like a long time but I'm sure it was only like a half hour and he stopped, I caught up to him and he pointed down "see the cave?"
sure enough there was a small opening in the rock "oh yeah." I said trying to catch my breath.
Then with out another moments hesitation he was climbing down towards it.
"oh ok, you want me to go in?. . oh ok. here we go. . " (me talking aloud)
We got to the opening and it was very small, the Asian man had a flashlight and in his hand now (still not sure where he got it) and looked at me and said "you small" with a nod towards the small hole. .

I was terrified, I love to hike, I'll stand on the tallest ledge and not be afraid, I can tube down scary rivers or jump off tall cliffs. But small caves, oh man, I just kept thinking of poor ol' John Jones.(Rest in Peace)

So I asked my little Asian friend with very animated hand gestures "this cave is small, does it get bigger?"

And he smiled and said "no, smaller, smaller, smaller. . careful your head" and then squatted his way in.
I felt like a big baby and didn't have much of a choice, so I crouched down, and when that wasn't small enough I got on my hands and knees and followed him.

At this point I could only see the light in front of him, and the light from the opening of the cave was getting dimmer and dimmer. I think I started to nervous talk because that's all I remember doing, and at this point I knew his English was poor so anything and everything was coming out of my mouth.
"This is my greatest fear and if I knew I was paying you money to take me up here and shove me in a hole and die I would have just given you a swift kick in the butt, do you know what suffocating is? My mother doesn't even know what city I'm in. she is going to kill me, and then you. . . . and then they'll seal up these caves just like they did the Nuddy puddy in Utah, Do you know Utah?"

When there was no more light from the outside world, we came to a ridge where we had to now climb up instead of across, still in a tight area, at one point there were rock right up against my stomach and back and I kinda had to wiggle to get through. I was having a major internal freak-out. Where I had to stop and close my eyes and just breath. .
After another across part and a little dip down the cave opened up and I don't think I have EVER been more happy in all my life to be able to stand, and breath.
























The cave was amazing, room after room with stalagmites and tights and bats and sparkly rocks and smooth rocks. He kept pointing out things and saying "elephant" or "this is Buddha" and I thought "yeah, right, whatever helps you sleep at night."


 (the pictures in the first cave were no good. -flash, the moisture in the air, and it is too bad cause it was cool)
(he didn't understand the term "personal bubble")



After spending a good while in the cave we made our way out and back up the mountain, soon to be at another cave.  (I wish I could include all the details but this post is already going to be crazy long)
The second cave was more open (thank goodness) and it felt an awful lot like timp cave, only you could touch everything. . it was neat.

Then about another hour or two of hiking. Stop. it wasn't "hiking" it is trekking, bush-whacking, rock climbing. . whatever. . we had reached the top to this brilliant orange flag waving in the sun tied down with bamboo. . . and the view was amazing.

Almost at that exact moment he turned around and said "I go, see you at bottom"
So I sat there, wondering if I would be able to find my way down the mountain, and just soaked in my life.
Traveling alone you have a lot of time to think, about anything and everything.
-Pizza.Would I be a good Monk? How does the moon pull all the ocean water in a matter of hours? Whitney.  Could I have a relationship with a man who spoke poor English? body language, Freddie Mercury.

And a poem came to mind as I was at the top next to that flag. . well, just a line or two.
Robert Frost "two paths divulged in the woods and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that made all the difference"

And I am so happy to be me, my life seems perfect with all it's imperfections.
I'm an idiot at times, but I think for the most part I'm learning from my mistakes. I have great people in my life who I love. And even tho I haven't been to church for like two months, I have never been more proud to be a Mormon. It makes me so happy. 

Also I remembered on that mountain top how much I love the song " I Believe in a Thing Called Love" by The Darkness.
Listen to it full blast, I know it will make your millennium.

I made it off the mountain right as it was getting dark. . lucky me.
And you know how when you are hiking alone in the Rockies you are afraid of a bear of maybe a moose, well, I was 10x more nervous- in Laos what am I supposed to be looking out for? I don't even know! a Money? a Baboon? a Panda? a (gulp) python?
So it was quite the adventure today, I faced my fear of snakes, enclosed small caves, and being in the dark alone with an Asian man. . ok, that last one has not been a fear of mine, but I added it to my list today.


And now I will try to up load these pictures for you, then go get some dinner- because I am Hung-Gary!

(don't worry I had sorts on under the skirt, I came prepared)



(and now for something completely different-)
The sky is a new color everyday-


 I am Loving Laos.


PS-thank you to whoever you are who actually reads these entire posts. . I realize I can get a bit wordy.

13 comments:

Ky said...

Favorite post yet! I think if i was with you, this would have been my favorite day. I really wish i was with you.


p.s I like the wordy ones.

Savannah said...

I was getting a panic attack just hearing what you went through! You are brave girl! Ha ha! That man is like nuzzling into you, it looks like you have been friends for years!

I'm so glad you're still alive.

Whittron said...

!!!¡¡There's a chance we could make it now. We'll be rocking 'til the sun goes down, I believe in a thing called love...
I wanna kiss you every minute, every hour, every daaaaaay... you got me in a spin but everythin' is A-OK!¡¡!

I love the wordy ones too. This one killed me I was LOLing all over the place.

Also, have you listened to Silhouette Serenade recently? another good rock song from the past.

And poor John Jones, I still think of him and get sad.

Riana Grace said...

Ravoe is going to freak when she reads this post. ha. So jealous Mckay, so jealous.

RaVoe said...

I completely FREAKED when I read this post!!!

I don't remember you being dropped on your head as a baby, but I am now certain that it had to have happened!

SO grateful you are alive!
So grateful you are my daughter!

the Ortons 9 said...

It is a good thing you weren't updating your blog real time,
It was such a comfort know that you made it back to blog.
And I am glad you clarified the skirt thing.
So we need to go see the nutty putty cave when you get back

Collin and Traci said...

I dont think you should ever apologize for being wordy! Word it up and don't hold back! I Love your life!

Juje said...

I sort of started to hyperventilate reading about the cave. Gah.... Jealous of your insane life. When are you coming home? Ever?

Whittron said...

Dropped on her head? which effected her frontal lobe? which controls her inhibition?

I guess mom just confessed that this is all her fault.

Ky said...

Just came back to say i love this post.

again

Bethany said...

McKay, every post I read of yours on this crazy adventure, the more happy I am to know you.

vanessa said...

Oh man! That boyfriend/girlfriend shot of you with that little man is so hilarious! How in the world did you get in that position? You look like you are four feet taller than him. Oh, this is funny!

McKayJoice said...

Whitney, yes! I kept singing that song to Anide and she didn't get it.
"if words are your weapons my dear I surrender, SURRENDER!!"

And yes, he is a foot shorter then me and just nuzzling all over me, what a creep.

Powered by Blogger.