Thursday, December 9, 2010

If you can't bet em, join em.

Ok, the post you all have been waiting for. . . Well, maybe just me.

Start over. . . 
The post that I've been waiting for!

It has been nice the times that we have gotten the chance to be off the beaten path a little, and feel like you are getting a good taste of how real Asia is not just touristy part.

But we knew today no matter how much we tried there would be no avoiding it, the tourist crowd, the picture taking, the old people, the toe socks with sandals (yes, I saw it twice).. . So we bought ourselves hats, lanyards, a tour book and had our camera in hand, and headed off to the great, the enchanting, Angkor.

And the people LOVED US, we fit right in, we made jokes with the Koreans, we laughed with the Cambodians, we danced in the ruins and made fun of the kids, we had such a good day. The spirit of Buddha, the carvings the long halls, Angelina Jolie and jungle put us both in the best mood. Oh man, loud American? . . that was me to a T.

To walk in and around one of the biggest temples on earth, to be a part of one of the eight wonders of the world, to have an old Koren lady come tell me my fly was down. I couldn't re-live a day like this if I wanted to, it was perfect.
There was an Asian man who loved the temple so much he was running to all the statues and bowing and rubbing bellies, and at one point I witnessed this man hug a column and then lick it. I kid you not, it took all the energy not to burst out with my loud Orton laugh. That little bit of slobber left on the pillar was so spiritual.

But that wasn't as great as the monkeys. I made our driver stop to take a picture of one (because that's what tourist do) and him and his little conniving friends were about 20 feet away from me as I tried to get my shot. Just as I was thinking "oh my gosh, I'm standing 20 feet from a wild monkey" the little monster gave me the look of Satan himself and came running towards me, Andie thought I was going to die. . . so when all was said and done I've actually been about 5 feet from a wild monkey, and peed my pants a little in the Cambodian jungle. . . . Wild.
We have a three day pass for the temples, so this is just one, one day, one blog, one story. . . With more to come.We hope in the next visit to take our sketch books and find a quite place and draw all day.

And then the last visit we will try to steel a statue to bring home for the deck, so stay tuned.

And now for your picture overload. . . .




















7 comments:

the Ortons 9 said...

Sweet!
now you can die happy and fulfilled.

Whittron said...

oh my hell, oh my damn, oh my hell... this is amazing!

Sydnie said...

This is absolutely fantastic. FANTASTIC!!!! Great, great pictures. This is my favorite post of the trip. Fun!

Stacy said...

With each post I become more and more jealous...way to live life to its fullest!

RaVoe said...

I am without words.....I am just all smiles, and tears, and laughing out loud!

Ky said...

get me to ankor wat!!!. get me a asian hat. get me a long braid like yours!!!

Colin said...

Whitney sure likes this. Probably licked her monitor.

Powered by Blogger.