Today we had a small party to celebrate his 84th birthday. I asked him "how does it feel to be 84?"
and he said "the same as it felt to be 25"
84 candels, took 6 people to light the entire thing and he tried to poor root beer on the cake as we were lighting it.
As I was baking the cake, Grandpa sat at the end of the counter, sifting through the mail and heckeling me. I turned on this Frank Sinatra CD grandpa had, and I felt like I had moved back in time a little bit.
And when the song "young at heart" came on I was just so happy, to be in that moment, in my grandparents kitchen, on his birthday, cooking a big ol' cake, with a man who is such a great example to his kids and Grandkids who may or my not be out of his mind- and in my mind- has always been Young at heart.
I just love him
![]() |
| Add caption |

5 comments:
Where did you find this picture?
McKay, I'm so jealous you get to spend time with him. I would love to just listen to him talk. I love the picture. I'm sad we missed his party.
I found it in a stack of old pictures on his desk.
I want to scan in a bunch of them sometime. If I get around to it, I'll make sure to e-mail them to you.
There was one extra candle on that cake,
if you don't believe me, count them
Dad, I don't believe you are really counting these candles!
Post a Comment