Stacy Scott invited me to play on her soccer team today they have been a few girls short.
And I discovered today that I have never actually played a REAL game of soccer, ever.
I use to play in Provo with the hipsters every Tuesday, but the field was small and we wore jeans, and all I remember about those games was making this one kid laugh real hard with my comments towards the other team and feeling really funny. No one took it serious.
That, and baby soccer from this last summer, and possibly some games in our yard, but nothing else comes to mind.
So, today was a real eye opener.
Does anyone realize the amount of running that one has to do in soccer? It is unbelievable! And, mind you, I can run. If I wanted to I could go outside right now and run three miles and be ok to do so. But running in soccer is so different, you are in a full sprint to the left then to the right then in full-forced-blood-battle race to the ball. It was crazy! At one point I stopped and hadn't even realized how fast my heart was beating and I thought "Thank you Heavenly Father for my ribs." because I felt like they were the only thing keeping my heart from shooting right out of my body. My poor heart.
And in indoor soccer there is no out of bounds, so you play off the wall, off the glass, off your face, there is no end, and that was an entire new element that I was not prepared for. 40 year old women kicking my trash today, our goalie had to be 60 and she was GOOD, one tough cookie.
Then, when you think they have thrown you into the lion's den they pump the place full of good music so it is so hard not to dance, or sing.
But we won!! 10 to 1!!
. . . . and when I say that "we won" what I really mean is we lost, 10 to 1, but dang, it was wonderful I would do it again for sure, I haven't sweated that bad since the Backstreet boys millennium tour (wild night).
I mean, I'm not sure they would want me back, I looked like a chicken out there. But that's the thing with me and sports, I'll always play, and I can be competitive, but I'm no good, I admit that. I guess God just decided to give me a brilliant brain, good looks, a unforgettable personality, one-of-a-kind family and kick-ass dance moves instead.
"We can't have it all, where would we put it?" - Steven Wright
Right? right.
5 comments:
Oh, how I miss soccer...two torn ACL's will make sure I never don cleats again. But your description sure brought back memories! Who needs athleticism when you have kick-ass everything else?
Good job McKay! I would never dare play and I would probably go into cardiac arrest before the game was over. I have actually forbade Chris from playing indoor soccer. He was on a team and got a concussion from playing and getting a direct hit from the soccer ball right in the forehead. That is some crazy shit ha ha
well first off, I feel I have to swear to keep these comments consistent. So damn girl! You are the shit!
Second, this has been my favorite writing of yours for a while. I love the way you write.
McKay...you kept your own pretty well. If we ever are in lack of players you'll be the first one I call!
Is that at Timanogos Indoor Soccer? We totally had a little indoor team over the summer! We had a blast... got our butts kicked... didn't really know what we were doing... but we had a blast. Isn't soccer great? I totally know what you mean about the running... man alive. It was so much fun pushing and shoving people with out the ref seeing. Oh soccer. Glad you got to play too!
Post a Comment