Meet Haden, Tanner and Ben.
The past two years living in Logan I have gotten up early in the morning to go watch the LOTOJA racers take off, it is such and inspiration to me, and I always imagine the racers as such amazing people who probably would all be my friends if I got to know them. 206 miles, climbing hills that are 1000 feet then 1300 feet, hills that are 36 miles long in the heat of the sun.
So this year when the Bills asked me to help support their team, I was more then happy to tag along.
They loaded me up with this manly truck and these three boys. I had to get them out of bed in the hotel room and to the race at 6:45, and make sure they had whatever they needed for the long ride, they were all doing it in relay so we were switching riders the entire day. . . It was awesome, I am the best supporter ever. These boys loved me.
We had a crash, two flat tires, and sadly didn't finish the race in time, and they pulled us off the road because it was too dark for the riders on the dark Wyoming roads. But we only fell about 45 miles short, and Tanner was a rock star and took on the hills like a champ. They were all real proud of themselves.
In addtion to how awsome it was to drive around the beautiful Wyoming canyons and the Idaho hills, it was so great to get to know the other support cars, the riders, the people at the gastations, and just the locals out to support. I was so blown away with everyone who wanted to talk, the lady at the gastation told me "I was just as well doing to pull them over and tell them they were crazy! 200 miles in one day? thats not healthy!" and one awesome guy was helping Haden on the road when Haden crashed into him and broke 6 spokes on the back wheel of his bike. And this guy called later to let me know that "I got my bike fixed and finished the race and tell your son not to worry, it was a freak accident and it shouldn't discourage him from riding!"
(my SON? keep in mind this man and I never met face to face, he just heard my voice on the phone and if he had seen my face he would have known I was too youthful and beautiful to be anyone's mom)
But he was just overly nice, and watching out for my boys, I loved it.
And our team was awesome, the first night we filled 4 hotel rooms in Logan, and it was so great to meet all the riders, I went to bed in a muggy boy-smelling hotel room with me and 5 guys and was loving every second of it. And at the end of the race the party in Jackson was awesome, bikers all over the place! Our team went out for pizza and everyone so tired and worn out but way too excited to sleep. And the conversation was all about the hill, or running out of food, what time they were hitting check points, the other riders, and the other support teams. . . everyone was so happy as we all sat outside in beautiful Jackson under the stars and twinkly lights and celebrated what an amazing day it was.
I have come to conlude a few things from this race-
1- The human body is amazing, and people who are adventurous and active are such an inspiration to me.
(I knew this before, but learned it all over again)
2- I am going to be the best soccer mom, I loved taking care of these little guys.
3- Learning to whistle real loud was the best thing I've ever done for myself.
7 comments:
Hey did you make that beanie? I like it.
I abolutely love this post. I've always wanted to be on a support crew!
Wowee- they sure look different. Last time I saw them they were no bigger than a bean sprout! I saw them doing this last year- it may just have been papa bills that was doing it . . . you look so cute!! We were sad Brade didn't get into LOTOJA this yr :( it was so fun last time!!
We were support crew too! 2nd yr for us. It's so amazing! The finish line was nuts too, watching these athletes pass the finish line after 206 miles. A-MA-ZING!!!I'm bummed we didn't see you though!
shout out to dusty for the whistle lessons. Your the only girl in the world i know that can whistle like a true man.
Riana- No I didn't but I know a cool gal who will make you one for the right price
Sydnie- you can support me next year when I bike it.
Savanah- I forgot that Braden did it, so so cool. and you married him, shoot, you are a lucky gal.
Traci- A-MAZING!!! is right
Kylee- I am the coolest girl, and I do owe that to you and dusty for more then one reason
Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.
- David
Post a Comment