"yeah"
"Well, all her kids went on missions. And she remodels that house about every year"
"I know, and it looks real good"
"OH! it is a real nice house, do you know how many bathrooms they have in that house now?"
"No, how many?"
"Twenty-four"
"is that right?"
"Yeah! they just sold it for over eight million dollars, and bought a new house in Highland"
"Thats a lot of bathrooms"
"Well, I'll say it is, but they have to have a place for all those kids they take in"
It has become a daily game of 'find the wallet', today it was on the side table under a magazine, he can never remember and always wants to just buy a new one. He can get so mixed up yet so easily distracted, and he eats anything I make for him, even if I just warm up a roll, put some jam on it and put it in his hand when he is watching TV. . . it's just a "thank you dear" and he eats it.
And days like today are the best, grandma went to get her hair done and took a long nap so he just sits and talks to me until he has talked about everyone of the grandkids, the nurse, the missionary, the gal that runs the press, the sharp one who just got married, and then we talk about his money then he always likes to give me advice about "that fellow". (Grandma tends to get frustrated with him when he gets the facts wrong, so he doesn't talk as much around her.)
And today it ended with an "I'm glad you are on my team"
He said to me a little while ago "you know, it doesn't take long to live 67 years"
And even though he is 83, I grabbed what he was trying to say.
I walk around that house, cleaning or cooking and it is so weird to me that I run that place, they can tell me one thing and I'll do the exact opposite, and they are very depended on me, when it wasn't that long ago that I was having sleepovers with the cousins at that house, and not allowed in the back office.
It has been such a good time for me, to grow to love these old folks. I feel indebted to them for the great life they lead. Grandpa said to me today talking about his kids "I wasn't real strict, but I expected certain things, and I got them. . . .. they are good kids" . . . and then, my dad helped mold me- it was like my foundation was being laid for me many years before I got here.
How did I get so lucky?
"Oh she comes up here, she likes to shop,"
"Who Patty?"
"yeah, she doesn't think we buy groceries enough, but I love them all, because they would do anything for me"

(I came in one day and he had this hat on, don't know why I thought it was so funny)
6 comments:
This posts are my favorite. That house with the 24 baths- is he talking about your house?? He's the cutest! It makes me miss my grandpa!!
No wonder I am so dang tired all the time..I have been cleaning those 24 bathrooms!!
You have the greatest grandparents...So great.
Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm glad you have such a positive take on what you're doing for them.
That picture of Grandpa is adorable!
Dear Mckay,
I love your blog.
That is all.
Post a Comment