Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sushi

Whitney and I met up in Salt Lake and did some shopping. The Black Chandelier is closing which is a shame, but it made for a hilarious shopping. . . Everything is on sale, at crazy prices. . . . there was this mannequin leg, a giant male mannequin leg that I wanted so bad. . . . ah the man thigh, there is nothing like a good man thigh.

After Whitney took me to her favorite sushi restaurant, the Naked Fish. The people knew her there it was ridiculous. . . "Miss Whitney Orton"

Now I am ashamed to admit that in the time I have lived on this glorious earth- tonight, today, December 15, 2009. . . was my first time trying sushi.

Seafood has always scared me, it wasn't until this year that I have been giving it a try. . . Whit and I flew to Seattle, on the pier was my first taste of herring, Riana made Crab this summer. . .I spent some time with some lovely fellows who cooked crawdads for me, and all of these have been great experiences.

Today. Sushi.

The first thing brought to the table was Edamame, and I could eat that all day everyday. . . Divine.

But then that sushi, and the little plate of what? ginger and wasacki? uh?

Sushi, I decided, is my worst nightmare. . First of all, for those who know me, I have very ridiculously-awful sensitive teeth, I have to eat an ice cream bar with a fork, I have never liked Popsicles. Even a sandwich can be hard to bite into, for fear of the surprise cold tomato.
So to pop an entire sushi roll in my mouth was hell, it was too big and too cold to do anything.

And the taste was unbearable. . . and everything Whitney would suggest would just get worse and worse. . . The raw fish thing at the end? Whitney what was that?

Then Whitney would watch me try to have a good attitude, eat everything she told me to, and she would just laugh and laugh at me. She is so great.

Whitney and I were having a wonderful time and so consumed with ourselves that we were every unaware that people were watching us and then the owner/manager/master karate guy came over and asked if everything was alright.
"I see you have dissected your food" he said as he looked at my plate that had a mess on it from me ripping apart my seaweed and trying to roll it up in smaller portions. . .
Whitney saved me and went into a story about my sensitive teeth. . . . .and heart.

I don't want to be one of those girls who are picky eaters. . . I love eating everything, and I'll try anything. (as long as it is not one of those jelly beans that is made to taste like throw-up) And I like all food, i really do.

So, I won't say that i hate it. . . I might give it another chance. . . in a year or two.

But i don't get it, the sushi craze, people go crazy over the stuff. . . they act like they are freaken royalty when they go out to eat it. It felt like I was licking the rocks from the bottom of the ditch in my back yard. gross.

So sorry america, it looks like I don't like sushi, Will Ferrell, Colbie Caillat or Jeep Wranglers.

But thanks to Whitney for the evening, showing me 3-d art work, introducing me to sushi, and breaking candles. Good time, every time.

5 comments:

Whittron said...

hilarious! thanks for always making me seem cooler than I really am. It's going to be a great month having you home.

Mrs. Schmalison said...

Thats too bad you're not a sushi lover. It was the the thing I craved most when I was pregnant, both times. It really can be hard on sensitive teeth but if you get it fresh its not so cold and that way us with genetically damaged teeth dont suffer as much. I dont eat the plain raw fish over rice, its pretty nasty, but I love all the rolls. Mmmmm.....its sounds good right now....

Rhiannon said...

I'm with ya! I don't like sushi either! The seaweed is the worst!

jendar said...

the black chandelier is closing??? whaaaa? do they have those diamond encrusted cockroaches on sale? if they do, please get me one and ill pay you back.

Whittron said...

Hahahaha! I just had to go back and read this about your cold teeth... especially after watching you eat that last "death" sushi piece tonight.

Powered by Blogger.