I have Loved Valentines. . . some of my most favorite memories come from this holiday.
One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men — his crop of potential soldiers. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death.
Other stories suggest that Valentine may have been killed for attempting to help Christians escape harsh Roman prisons where they were often beaten and tortured.
According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl — who may have been his jailor's daughter — who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed 'From your Valentine,' an expression that is still in use today. Although the truth behind the Valentine legends is murky, the stories certainly emphasize his appeal as a sympathetic, heroic, and, most importantly, romantic figure. It's no surprise that by the Middle Ages, Valentine was one of the most popular saints in England and France.
My Mom and Dad would doorbell-ditch our house, and leave us kids little gifts, and candy. . . It was so fun, and as we are all on the door-step they would come walking in the garage like nothing happened. SO SLY.
One year, When i lived in Provo I doorbell ditched my family with a box full of goodies. I loved that.
I loved Valentines in grade school- I remember I put a little extra candy in Chris Allen's card in hopes he would realize my deep feelings for him and want to stop "going out" with Kali Adams and "go out" with me.
I have Loved helping Sam and Andie Make Valentines boxes to take to school. (i made the best boxes)
I love conversation hearts.
I love that the holiday consists of simple gifts. (For normal people anyway)
I remember one year Brandon gave Whitney a simple stupid card with a big head of Lettuce on it and the card read "Lettuce be together!" . . . . . Whitney couldn't have been happier.(wow, that was such a long time ago.)
I think i still have a care bear card my old roommate Ali gave to me that was SO funny.
And I've been lucky to have dated some thoughtful boys who have always been so great on valentines. . . and there is nothing better then being young and alive with a boy who is young and alive. (thats from a poem, i have been obsessed with poems lately).
It is sad to me when people (ANOYING GIRLS) become bitter about Valentines because they lack a lover, and can't branch beyond their own selfish face to find others in their lives that they love, and can celebrate.
I am way too excited for this year. Traveling with a sister I Love.
I love that St Valentine singed his letters 'From your Valentine'
That is so sweet, I want someone, someday,that I can write to with a 'From your McKay' . . . . that sounds so sweet, so genuine.
4 comments:
You make me love Valentines Day, and I never ever have.
You are such a good writer.
Maybe I should try to do something special this time...
what? and you totally dissed on my "thinking of you" site meter valentine?
can't wait for this weekend.
I am sitting here at the computer reading this lovely blog of yours and i have big grateful tears in my eyes for such a loving and thoughtful daughter.
I love you dearly, MOM
I was thinking about "lettuce be togehter just yesterday!" I loved that card. Happy Valentine's Day!
Post a Comment