Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Money is such, a beautiful word

I found a wallet today just sitting on a couch in the "international lounge" on campus. . . . I asked the people around me if they saw anyone sitting there. . . no one had, one one cared. . . I took it and walked away to go find a place to turn it in. As i opened it i saw tons of cash. . . well over 100$.

I don't know why- but it was the hardest thing in the world for me not to take the money. . . . This is a classic primary story about choosing right and wrong. Right?
I would just take the cash and turn in everything else. . .Visa card Drivers License, Student Card.
Those are the REAL important things right?

I turned it in, it was hard, but i closed it and turned it in.

And the lady who I gave it to was so rude. . . . When i walked in she said "we are closed, can you shut the door? we are closed!"
Me- "oh, sorry i just found this wallet and i thought i would turn it in" (expecting a huge applause, and some balloons to fall from the ceiling)
"Ok, you can give it to me"
so i gave it to her and walked out the door. . . not one word.


It was SO hard. And right now i'm not glad i did it.

But good karma is coming my way.

It has to.

6 comments:

Nathan said...

Last year, in the summer I lost my wallet and didn't even know!

My mother called, "Did you lose your wallet?" I looked around and couldn't find it, and then I was freaking. "You're about to get a phone from a lady."

She called shortly after. Her son had found it near work. All his friends had said to take the money and toss the rest. He wanted to, he really did, but knew it was wrong. He asked his mother what to do, and there I was on the phone.

The worst part was, the money was my tithing! It was all I had left and I was scraping to make it!

When he came to the store I thanked him and game him $20 bucks. His mother was proud of her son, I was so thankful!

It's the right thing to do McKay!

I have returned purses, phones, wallets, and the like...I always try to contact them directly but if I can't, I drop them off at the police station for I know then, they'll get it with everything intact.

For what it's worth, I'm proud you did it, and if you feel like it, go back to the rude girl or better yet, her supervisor and find out what happened to it

laura said...

I KNOW good karma is coming your way. I can't express how much faith I have in that.

Li said...

I'm proud of you, too!

I lost my wallet in the food court and when I went to get it, someone had taken the money and turned the rest in. I was devastated. It was only $20, but it was MY 20 that I'd earned babysitting and was going to get to spend it on myself. 20 bucks is a LOT when you're married to a poor grad student and have two little kids! lol

You totally just MADE SOMEONE'S DAY by giving it back with all their money in it! Good karma coming your way for sure! :)

Whittron said...

$$$
I know, I know!$$
It flows through my mind
like a beautiful bird!
$ $ $ $

the Ortons 9 said...

What a witch that lady was. I bet she took the money. You should have saved the name of the owner of the wallet and tracked him down to see if all the money was still there. He could thank you by taking you to lunch.

Anonymous said...

i would have spent the money for sure

Powered by Blogger.